Auckland / Nelson sail question

West coast every time 

‘Get to top and then only need a two or three favourable days and your there

East coast you will get hit somewhere 

• Like 1

I prefer west as well heading south. Once clear of Maria van Diemen happy days. Last run to Nelson was in December. 

That said we left Oban a couple of hours ago and are heading up the east coast back to Auckland 

Whichever way the wind is blowing and the tide is flowing, i.e plan your passage considering the various weather models and the tidal streams around Cape Reinga, East Cape and Cook Strait. I’ve done both ways. Keep an open mind. Don’t sail to a deadline and be prepared to stop at Mangonui, New Plymouth, Gisborne or Napier for a few days waiting for a favourable weather window.

Hi All

Thanks for the thoughts... no there is no hurry or deadlines... and I guess the only real thing the east has going for it are the number of potential stops, otherwise WC  seems to make most sense.

Thanks again

The bay just under the island at North Cape is small but well sited if you have to wait for the east to west current, it is protected from anything coming from the East, North, West etc. A daylight crossing starting early is my recommendation, Night is ok with a full moon, but then it is best to keep well offshore and leave the Pandora bank to port with reasonable clearance. If you wish to stay inshore of the Pandora bank be prepared for considerable turbulence and over falls from north East of the light until you are sufficiently clear to the South. There are at least 2 fishing boats that have a hell of a lot set lines in this turbulent area. They certainly had me on my toes, buoys everywhere!! make sure you are clear of to the south of C.M D. before the current reverses!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

The bay just under the island at North Cape is small but well sited if you have to wait for the east to west current, it is protected from anything coming from the East, North, West etc. A daylight crossing starting early is my recommendation, Night is ok with a full moon, but then it is best to keep well offshore and leave the Pandora bank to port with reasonable clearance. If you wish to stay inshore of the Pandora bank be prepared for considerable turbulence and over falls from north East of the light until you are sufficiently clear to the South. There are at least 2 fishing boats that have a hell of a lot set lines in this turbulent area. They certainly had me on my toes, buoys everywhere!! make sure you are clear of to the south of C.M D. before the current reverses!

I was lookin at that anchorage at North Cape earlier on today and wondering

Plan to stay well clear of Pandora Bank...