The Harbour Classic - 1st April

Same here, I dont want to put a negative spin on it but unless its one hell of an aftermatch then its very unlikely I'll take part for 150. If it was either a S or N then it would be interesting otherwise they may as well do the Squaddy Friday night and call it done 😆

11 hours ago, harrytom said:

Have any of you actually bothered to read "notice f race"?? It a cat 5 race .    Safety Inspections Every entry has the responsibility to ensure it is fully compliant with safety category 5 requirements. Any yacht found to be in contravention of YNZ Safety Regulations Part II Category 5 shall be subject to protest from the Race Committee or Yachting New Zealand.

All races are cat 5 at a minimum. Cat 5 (and 4) is self declared. The skipper does the inspection themselves. 

Would be nice to see it succeed. Anniversary day and coastal numbers aren't the spectacle they used to be, having at least one huge fleet a year would be great. That said I can't see requiring a PHRF cert being helpful in getting the numbers up.

• Upvote 1

As above will be very interesting to see who fronts, maybe every other club is missing something 

Cant see how it’s classic if it’s never happened before 

Want to get numbers “ then don’t put obstacles in the way - make it cheap, use racetrack, have a party afterwards. Once it’s established and classic then it will stand on its own feet, just my thoughts but I could be wrong, hope I am for their sake

Maybe it has something to do with it being on first of April 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

As a long standing spectator of the sport I am most concerned that with a strong souwester the slippery ones in the fleet will be back at North Head before I have finished my first flute of champers and started on the strawberries and cream whilst sitting on the picnic rug , I am sure that other pundits will join me to critique the fleet from on high.

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Such impeccable planning.

Just received this email from NZMHYC.  I will get back in my box, they obviously tried pretty hard to avoid a clash while getting their new classic underway.  And it seems there are some future harbour events that they want this to be a part of which played a role in the conflict.

Whilst we were very excited to bring you the news of the inaugural Harbour Classic (Saturday 1st April 2023), we recognise this is on the same weekend as the Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Auckland to Tauranga Race (Altex A2T). The Altex A2T race for cruising yachts starts at 1000hrs on Thursday 30th March with the racing yachts starting at 1600hrs on Friday 31st March 2023.

We worked very hard to find an alternative date within the busy sailing calendar and after meetings between Tauranga Yacht & Power Boat Club (“TYPBC”) and ourselves to discuss the clash, we advised that no other dates were suitable for the Harbour Classic Race due to being under pressure from a number of parties to carry out a trial harbour race regatta to fit in with the City’s future harbour event plans. This is the only year there will be a clash.

From a good will point of view, NZMYC have offered TYPBC the ability to promote the Altex A2T to our audience and, because of this date clash in year one, encourage all yachts who have previously taken part in the A2T, or would normally take part in a coastal race, to continue to support and enter this event.

On that note expect to see more information on the A2T race. In the meantime visit the A2T race website www.a2t.nz and check out the information below the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club has provided us –

http://www.a2t.nz

image.thumb.png.04e58b017107bb942c5c07b2c4e6e073.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I doing the Waiheke Coastal Classic on Thursday the 26th January, did it last year, a great race with DF95 and DF65 radio controlled yachts. 

It starts at the eastern end of Surfdale around a mark (port) at the western end around the headland following the boats on The Esplanade port round at the eastern end of Blackpool then a port round at the western end of Blackpool and back to the finish in the middle of Blackpool. All the entries goes a to charity on the island.

Here's last years report.

Waiheke-RSC-Coastal-Classic-Charity-Race-Jan 2022.docx

• Upvote 2
On 13/01/2023 at 11:57 AM, Ex Machina said:

Isn’t there two ?  Beforehand and after ?  The multihull club is reviewing the PHRF thing so hopefully they drop that requirement .

Hell, have another during why not? In, fact skip the sailing and spend the day partying.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Hell, have another during why not? In, fact skip the sailing and spend the day partying.

Nah....1st party up 

........... 2nd have some more around the track 

3rd repeat the 1st till ya droop

Good News, the PHRF requirement has been canned and they're using racetrack and whatever other means they see fit.  

That should double the entries right there.  

It's a great idea and it would be terrific to see all the non racers out there once a year but I'm not sure they'll turn up at $150.   Cross fingers.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Steve said:

Good News, the PHRF requirement has been canned and they're using racetrack and whatever other means they see fit.  

It's a great idea and it would be terrific to see all the non racers out there once a year but I'm not sure they'll turn up at $150.   Cross fingers.

But thats what the entry instructions already had..

4 hours ago, Steve said:

Good.

Maybe by April summer will have turned up?

• Haha 1

$100 to enter a short there-and-back, in a 22' trailer yacht, (Yes Tim, that's 6.7m) seems a bit steep. 

Given our Racetrack handicap we should probably enter anyway 😎 - it's 5something.

Aside from that, seems like a great concept. Here's hoping it goes well!

Is there much interest out there in yot land?

Anyone else thinking of entering? 

I'm going to chuck my entry in today. 

What's not to like, free berthage in the viaduct for the weekend, party with a live band right beside the boats (Phil hart I believe), a fun race with hopefully a heap of boats and if it all goes well a real festive raft up party in wynyard quarter reminiscent of the old Sydney hobart and fastnet days where the boats all piled into whatever spot they could fit and rafted 20+boats deep. I think it's a cool concept. 

Perfect weekend for me as I have sythony in the domain Saturday night (should be a truly epic event if the last one were anything to go by). Friday night rum race, event party in whnyard, short easy sailboat race, synthony then stay on the boat in town afterwards. Breakfast at wynyard quarter in sight of my boat, quick run through the Maritime museum then off home to the weiti river with a stop for a fish on the way. 

For anybout of town boats especially, I reckon its going to make for a great boating weekend. 

• Upvote 4

Well not too many racers, counted 27 with one pulling out within a minute, the multi boys may be disappointed with Mayhem coming in first and a loong way behind was attitude then Superbad and the Rum Bucket.