Exhaust Elbow Replace or Suck it up?

I built a new exhaust manifold and mixer from stainless 2 years ago. I made a template from PVC water pipe first then fabricated from off the shelf bends. Worked out well and no issues so far. Bends and tube from Steel & Tube Stainless. Price was reasonable and their rep was very helpful. Had a mate help with welding. Only downside was the time it took but I had no other option as the old manifold was badly corroded and no original replacement available.

IMG_20210220_121543530.jpg

IMG_20210220_122616626 2.jpg

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, BMW56 said:

I built a new exhaust manifold and mixer from stainless 2 years ago. I made a template from PVC water pipe first then fabricated from off the shelf bends. Worked out well and no issues so far. Bends and tube from Steel & Tube Stainless. Price was reasonable and their rep was very helpful. Had a mate help with welding. Only downside was the time it took but I had no other option as the old manifold was badly corroded and no original replacement available.

IMG_20210220_121543530.jpg

IMG_20210220_122616626 2.jpg

looks like the donor parts formed the majority of a milking machine manifold!

• Like 1

Hey Guys

Went with HDI Marine in Vancouver WA USA received. the replacement part and gasket today

Good quality in Stainless identical to original cast not Stainless.

Ordered 28th Jan arrived today 3 Feb picked the second or third shipping option which was USD 76 total cost including shipping almost exactly 400 NZD total, very Happy.

Ovlov wanted 767 NZD for a replacement non stainless part.

Seriously, why would you.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hi Rats,

Just read your post today, yes you purchased the best option, the HDI SS exhaust from the US, incidentally its the same product imported by part4engines.

I installed the same unit for a D2-40 about 2018 and I checked it recently and found no corrosion compared to the VP part fitted at the same time to my other

D2-40.  Do install the gasket with the elbow as it "insulates" the SS from the engine.

• Like 2