Mahurangi weekend

20 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Our river is about half a meter above normal and a big high tide due after midnight. Could get ugly for some houses.

Interesting the current is running out an hour or more after low water 

Further up the river by the old Stevies yard 15knots was clocked on the speedo, big rooster tail coming off their rudders.

Unfortunately a big piling barge dragged and struck their pole damaging it then impact into their hull leaving a big crack and marks all down one side before dissapearing off to stillwater where it struck some more boats before it was secured!

Spent the morning rescuing 2 boats from broken piles...

Mother nature can be bloody brutal!

We were also hit on our mooring by another boat that came loose and sustained some damage.  Quite a few boats here with damage. 

To be honest it was terrifying and very very close to catastrophic for us and many boats around us. We had an H28 wrapped around our bow and slowly going under the boat. I cant believe our mooring held. Luckily the incoming tide slowed down the current after a few hours otherwise it would have likely been much worse.

Closest I have ever come to losing my boat I think.  

Some of the videos taken on the shore of streams and old watercourses in full flow are incredible, and in fully built up areas too. Something to consider is all the trees, slash etc that's been washed into the gulf which will be hazardous for some time.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Some of the videos taken on the shore of streams and old watercourses in full flow are incredible, and in fully built up areas too. Something to consider is all the trees, slash etc that's been washed into the gulf which will be hazardous for some time.

Yes thats problem down Gisborne way.Think they are going to look at how forestry can clean up after felling..All that silt is going to smoother beds(seafood)

Did a early morning trip (5.00am) Ponui to Collville bay hit a tree trunk ,luckly only doing 3 knts,towing kahawai lure,reported with co ordinates as we sure werent able to tow it.

7 hours ago, B00B00 said:

We were also hit on our mooring by another boat that came loose and sustained some damage.  Quite a few boats here with damage. 

To be honest it was terrifying and very very close to catastrophic for us and many boats around us. We had an H28 wrapped around our bow and slowly going under the boat. I cant believe our mooring held. Luckily the incoming tide slowed down the current after a few hours otherwise it would have likely been much worse.

Closest I have ever come to losing my boat I think.  

Holy sh*t.  What mooring field are you in ?

The most amazing one was the guy leaving Milford Marina before the tide was in (in the dark) he shot out of the calm creek like a champagne cork then promptly hit the surf and was wrecked.😕 Lucky to survive himself 

46 minutes ago, waikiore said:

The most amazing one was the guy leaving Milford Marina before the tide was in (in the dark) he shot out of the calm creek like a champagne cork then promptly hit the surf and was wrecked.😕 Lucky to survive himself 

This Guy? Mad!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, waikiore said:

Bit of a head scratcher that one. Saw them on the beach securing the wreck, got the impression she'd been sucked out of the marina by the ebb (maybe just my assumption). Then heard later that she'd gone out under her own power and that very much left me wondering why you'd do that!