A tear to my eye....

Driving around the back of a marina in Thailand, in the more industrial area, I glanced at this once upon a time beauty... "ANNY" I have not searched online yet but looks to be a 40' SS... maybe. My company at the time advised she was owned by a syndicate of Japanese business men but abandoned number of years back and is now (still) for sale by the Marina, presumably for a pittance...

Bbut it gets worse... look at the next post.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 1

I got back to the car and my host said have a look 3 boats down and out of view.

This was imported to Thailand by a French businessman who was restoring classic boats.

This is no ordinary boat... this is the first 6m class ever built, Number 1 and numbered as such... she could be considered a very important piece of maritime history.

This restoration never started, and the boat is considered abandoned and now for sale by the marina.

Happy to point serious folk in the right direction

IMG_0758 (2).jpg

IMG_0759 (2).jpg

IMG_0760 (2).jpg

IMG_0761 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Many worthy yachts lying around back yards in NZ. Problem is $$ and which ones do you save? Some owners dont want to dpart or wanting top $$ "Yeah going to start soon."

Found a lovely hull ,former Kaipara steam pinnance,visited owner and "Yeah mate going to take up to the shed soon" 3yrs on still lying on front paddock. I even located a steam engine for her. 

Perhaps Rudolfshack should take a trip up there??

People seriously underestimate the effort, time and cash outlay to properly restore an old wooden boat, and it gets exponentially worse the bigger they are. Once they are restored, what do you have? Usually a beautiful but very impractical object that requires continual ongoing maintenance and will never ever give you your time or money back, so you have to really want the aesthetic! The classic story here is Rawhiti (among many others).

No one is going to step up and give you actual money to restore your "valuable" piece of yachting heritage- but dont worry everyone will give you free advice lol! There are exceptions of course, that youtube series on the rebuild of Tally Ho, that is a total grandads axe with a huge amount of unpaid help and massive donations. 

There is a difference between doing enough to keep them going on a budget and a full rebuild, people also forget that they were never designed to last forever and particularly with most bigger yachts, they were very expensive luxury items when launched. The best analogy would be like a driving around in a Merc that cost 250k new but you got it for 20k- its nice while it lasts but we both know you're on borrowed time!

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Many worthy yachts lying around back yards in NZ. Problem is $$ and which ones do you save? Some owners dont want to dpart or wanting top $$ "Yeah going to start soon."

Found a lovely hull ,former Kaipara steam pinnance,visited owner and "Yeah mate going to take up to the shed soon" 3yrs on still lying on front paddock. I even located a steam engine for her. 

Perhaps Rudolfshack should take a trip up there??

Was that around the Kaiwaka area? If it was "Tern" she has been taken in hand and is now being restored.

57 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Was that around the Kaiwaka area? If it was "Tern" she has been taken in hand and is now being restored.

No down hwy 39  just after the Hamilton turn off on left, if you pass shallas retreat to far,Think he has a fire engine out the front now.,double ender about 27ft beam 9Ft?? carvel construction,open boat.