Depth Sounder advice

Hi all. I am wanting to get a simple, reasonably priced  depth sounder for my trailer yacht. All I can seem to find are fish finders. I’m not a fisherman, I’m a sailor. Dedicated depth sounders are too expensive. 
Any advice please?

Simple fishfinders should still be OK, they will give you the depth and the bottom contour line gives a good indication of the depth change trend in a visual graphic form, an ascending line will indicate shallowing which is often better than numbers changing rapidly. I find it very useful in Tauranga harbour which is full of sandbanks. If your hull is solid glass you can glue a plastic (Sistema) container to the inside of the hull ahead of the centreboard, fill with glycol or oil and place the transducer in it. The transducer can be machined down to reduce it's size to fit. Attached is a cheap one, it needs to have a digital display as an option, most do a split screen option, unsure if this does but it is cheap.

Screenshot.png

• Haha 2

If your after a small footprint unit the Lowrance Hook2 4inch is very good value, nice clear screen in daylight. Allows you to see trend (is it getting shallower\deeper) .The bullet sensor an be installed inside, shoot thru hull an see to around 100’.  

2 hours ago, eruptn said:

If your after a small footprint unit the Lowrance Hook2 4inch is very good value, nice clear screen in daylight. Allows you to see trend (is it getting shallower\deeper) .The bullet sensor an be installed inside, shoot thru hull an see to around 100’.  

I would not by a hook 2 even for depth use only, Can set shallow water or deep and yeah showing 10m in 40m, save your money or spend $100 more on a garmin striker

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/12v-electrical/electronics/fishfinders-chartplotters/garmin-striker-4-plus-gps

Excellent little unit,gps,tracking etc so many choices out there

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at both the Lowrance and Garmin units. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to mount the transducer in side the hull. There is an existing through hull where a speed log used to be so I could possibly use that?