Auckland Flood - how did your home / boat fare?

Three of our downstairs rooms flooded.  Two rooms now cleaned out / drained, one to go today, but the forecast heavy rain next couple days has me on edge.

My spare anchors are not supposed to see water if they are not on the boat.

Outside house was a torrent of biblical proportions.

My smaller boat safe in Gulf Harbour Marina
My bigger boat remained safe in cradle on the driveway -- glad I had it on concrete not a grass area of the property

Overall, never seen anything like it what happened Friday

fFQn53ilSXCDsvDgDr4X0A.jpg

1E8PXfRCSsqvNbvyw3XHaw.jpg

PmVlPwTdSdunms9khRRaOA.jpg

Yet we missed out here Papakura(Rosehill) was out most of Friday chasing Carp. Bit damp but nothing major

What I do not understand is how Metserv didnt issue a rain warning earlier. The info was there. Predict wind on Wednesday showed for Friday 70mm ph at Te kouma with NE 25 Hence why we cancelled out Wednesday night for Friday.

Like Harry, we are fine out here in deepest Papakura.  We haven't been down to see how the boat is.  We probably should, but no phone calls from the caretaker, so we are assuming everything is ok.  I'm guessing the Clevedon flats are waterlogged and the river is flowing hard, but we are behind a catamaran on the poles so anything damaging will take out them first!

1 hour ago, chippie said:

One metre of water through my workshop.  Lots of power tools took a bath.  Thought I'd let them dry out with a bit of help and then pluck up courage to pull the triggers.  Not super hopeful!

Sometimes they come right when dry. Sometimes not. Fingers crossed.

All good in my corner of Cocklebay, but possibly some slips on the local cliff edge properties, will take a stroll when the suns out and see. Last time we had a big wet like this there were a handful that lost some of the front lawn.

50 properties red stickered and 141 yellow stickered is surreal and I'm guessing the bulk of those red stickered  will  result in a total wipeout of the properties value unless remedial Geo engineering can recover and stabilise the land, its a sad situation.

9 hours ago, Psyche said:

Aucklands papa cliffs erode quite quickly, its probable that these were built well back initially.  Cliff top properties in Auckland are vulnerable

We were intersted in a house over looking tauranga harbour late last yr,GV 1.8m,We thought y the time we organise finance etc it would sell well above,If was in the AK viaduct it would be easy 4/5m. After a bit searching found a oncil website that showed errosion rates for area,they gave it a orange status of 80 yrs before it would be unstable and condeemed. Sold for 1.3m.   Maybe time for agents to disclose this sort of stuff.

As ex shore boy,Dad always said only time (1970s)before the houses along the narrow neck/st leonards region fell.so far holding up. Bit of a surprise about shore rd though.

Can see insurance companies bailing out or premiums through the roof.

The erosion process is natural weathering,  wave action undercutting the mudstone until eventually the top bit falls. Its made worse by removal of native vegetation and earthworks which alters the drainage and water table. These heavy rains saturate the ground and weight tends to makes the strata slide on top of each other,  if you've ever been to any of the gold mining sites and seen the power of sluicing where they used to literally demolish hillsides, its obvious you really need to have good drains on a cliff site! Whats surprising about the guy who lost his swimming pool (and his house has to be red stickered surely) is that the piles were 8 metres deep. Some of the cliffs appear really stable but all the slips looked like piles of mud, rocks and clay, not something Id want to live on. To be fair the majority of cliff top homes are ok and will be ok for quite some time, but unless considerable stabilisation work is undertaken, eventually many more will succumb to erosion. How long do houses have to last in NZ, 50 years? so pretty much all of them are past their use by anyway lol!

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Psyche said:

The erosion process is natural weathering,  wave action undercutting the mudstone until eventually the top bit falls. Its made worse by removal of native vegetation and earthworks which alters the drainage and water table. These heavy rains saturate the ground and weight tends to makes the strata slide on top of each other,  if you've ever been to any of the gold mining sites and seen the power of sluicing where they used to literally demolish hillsides, its obvious you really need to have good drains on a cliff site! Whats surprising about the guy who lost his swimming pool (and his house has to be red stickered surely) is that the piles were 8 metres deep. Some of the cliffs appear really stable but all the slips looked like piles of mud, rocks and clay, not something Id want to live on. To be fair the majority of cliff top homes are ok and will be ok for quite some time, but unless considerable stabilisation work is undertaken, eventually many more will succumb to erosion. How long do houses have to last in NZ, 50 years? so pretty much all of them are past their use by anyway lol!

Not wanting to start a political sh*t fight on global warming, but I have always felt coastal erosion is way more an immediate threat than greenhouse gasses when it comes to where you choose to live..... I mean, they long ago stopped building on those chalky cliffs in UK (Dover)  and on the UK East Coast because the sea is slowing reclaiming those cliffs through natural erosion...why would NZ coast cliff areas would be any different..

1 hour ago, Zozza said:

Not wanting to start a political sh*t fight on global warming, but I have always felt coastal erosion is way more an immediate threat than greenhouse gasses when it comes to where you choose to live..... I mean, they long ago stopped building on those chalky cliffs in UK (Dover)  and on the UK East Coast because the sea is slowing reclaiming those cliffs through natural erosion...why would NZ coast cliff areas would be any different..

According to a council study of coastal erosion elsewhere it's pretty common to have no erosion mitigation plans, just let it run its course. The corollary is that they dont build on mudstone cliff edges! 

• Upvote 1