$1 reserve boat

34 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Yep. That's my govt pension.  The government maintains my boat for me.

And I help subsidize it.hahs.keep going as long as you can.When the old man came ashore yep lasted 6 months

Costs add up

Its possible to run a boat on the sniff of an oily rag for a certain time period but in the background thing are wearing out and the job list is getting longer. 

if youre keen on a 30 footer, you are better to research the market and buy the best one you can afford. If necessary get a loan because over time the best and probably most expensive one will be the cheapest.

But if youre buying for a season or two it doesnt matter 

We spend more than that on a 32' and dont live aboard, add to that repowering, rewiring, new shaft ,stern tube , seal, prop, hatches, dodger , headsail, windows, repainting...

these are the typical on going costs of having a yacht you enjoy, (over a four year period) To be clear these are all additional to the $1000.00 per month. So is insurance. 

OMG. Now you're making me depressed. But it's good to have a reality check. I kinda like Island Time's comment earlier. Yes it might cost but if you love it, it's worth it. We have to decide before 9 pm tonight. Hubbie is still all go. The boat clearly has life left in it. Would it be better to put a long shaft outboard on the back?

The classic statement is that "A boat is a hole in the Ocean through which you pour money" it quite true. That being said there are many worse ways to spend (waste) your income, Golf? booze" (excluding Rum) gambling, big ship ocean cruises, racing cars etc. ( Motorbikes are OK!) The pleasure that you can get from just being on the water as "master" of your yacht gives you access to an amazing coastal waterway (Tauranga north) Remember 70% of the worlds surface is water, with experience, it is yours to explore, enjoy and occasionally be terrified by. And if you choose to live aboard eliminates lawn mowing.

• Upvote 1

I went out to the yacht with the owner about 9 months ago.  There was a small fault in the fuel system that the owner couldn't diagnose.  Once fixed, the engine started and ran fine, the usual noises for a 35 year old diesel.

IF you think the yacht meets your wishlist requirements and given you have access to mechanical skills, the operating costs will not be similar to any other yacht in your price bracket.

Just do it.  Even worst case it won't kill you.

Probably.

• Upvote 4

Having depressed myself with the costs of some of my own boating, I should add that Easterlies are good boats and sail honestly -have circumnavigated and are roomy for their size so it is likely going to be a bargain.

• Upvote 2

I've learnt that sailing is not a hobby for me, its an addiction.  Its expensive, overly time consuming, but cant stop, nor do I want to.

Biggest problem I now have is a partner who loves it more than me, and Im sure it will send us broke, but what fun way to do it....

We have a simple system. All her income goes on house and living. All mine goes on boat....

DONT ADD IT UP, YOU'LL ALL STOP SAILING

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 3
10 hours ago, harrytom said:

And I help subsidize it.hahs.keep going as long as you can.When the old man came ashore yep lasted 6 months

Just do I, I spent a lot of time fretting about the money side of it, and how we could afford it,11 years later still got the boat and enjoying it

• Upvote 1

Purchased our boat 19 months ago and in the last 12 months we've put approx $16k into it to simply catch up on all the maintenance that had been lacking over the last few years with previous owner. We could have spent another $10k and got the same design boat in far better condition and saved money in the long run. On the flip side, I now know my boat intimately, know all the wiring/ electrical systems etc and know if something goes wrong I can probably fix it myself. It's also got us back ahead of the maintenance curve, so to speak. Hopefully no more big expensive shocks with a maintenance plan and budget moving forward. 

• Upvote 1