But Wait, Theres More!

1 hour ago, Addem said:

Best decision. I’ve never understood why this simple precaution is not taken by everyone, nor insisted on by the Marina management. At the least it reduces windage on the rig but a few years ago one of these storms clipped Tauranga and the (small) number of headsails that unwrapped was hazardous. 

I'd bet good money that if you have a look at shoal bay late on Monday you'll see one unwrapped.

33 minutes ago, khayyam said:

I'd bet good money that if you have a look at shoal bay late on Monday you'll see one unwrapped.

You can watch for it here:

(Well if its in the half of the mooring field I can see from my house anyway)

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

I've turned into a pussy sailor.  We are moving to the marina in a couple of hours. I'm calling it our Xmas cruise.

BP you have probably been living aboard and sailing almost as long as I have been alive (well not quite, but you know what I mean).... this the worst summer in Auckland / Northland that you can remember?

Just been down and replaced my docklines, they were starting to get a bit tired so this was as good a time as any to replace them all. Took down sails and solar panels. 

I also went and inspected my neighbor boat, and its dock lines which looked like absolute sh*t. 

Am I out of line for going onto the neighbor boat and adding new docklines? I left their ones in place, just added more and made my ones slightly slacker so they should only kick in when theirs fail..

• Upvote 7

We survived the (sleepless) night, fairly breezy, gusts well over 60kts I'd say. Calm now - ~30kts.

New anchor (Excel) held - I didn't trust the old CQR.

About a dozen other boats altogether in the 2 bays. One boat decided to move to a better location (twice) mid-storm, that'd have been fun!

Maybe we can start seeing the BoI in a few days...

On 11/02/2023 at 3:52 PM, Winter said:

Just been down and replaced my docklines, they were starting to get a bit tired so this was as good a time as any to replace them all. Took down sails and solar panels. 

I also went and inspected my neighbor boat, and its dock lines which looked like absolute sh*t. 

Am I out of line for going onto the neighbor boat and adding new docklines? I left their ones in place, just added more and made my ones slightly slacker so they should only kick in when theirs fail..

I'd say you're a bloody good neighbour. A group of us spent 4.5 hours yesterday afternoon checking every boat in Weiti River after a mooring pile broke earlier in the day. Ended up replacing mooring lines on more than a dozen boats in atrocious conditions. 

• Upvote 5