Live Weather Feeds

19 minutes ago, Romany said:

And now from the meaningless graph department.

This came up on windy when i swiped or clicked or something...

Anybody got a clue as to what it means?

Screenshot_20230213_072043_Windy.jpg

Thats the raw weather balloon data, pressue and temperature will predictable change relates to altitude, hence the angled gridlines to provide a straight line in theory. 

Red line is temperature and blue line is the dew point

3 hours ago, Zozza said:

I just listening to RNZ and they have said authorities have opened some lanes on the Harbour bridge here at just past 6am in the morning.  What the hell is wrong with the idiots -- unless you are a fire or ambulance truck, you would be an absolute idiot a 10/10 in the 'Muppet-0meter' to be anywhere near trying to drive over the bridge in these conditions...and the worst is yet to come
Idiots

It's currently 9kn gusting 26kn at Bastion Point, an hour ago in was 8kn gusting 16kn. 

If the sun was out and you closed the bridge in that wind you'd get laughed out of town and rightly so.

To me it sounds like NZTA have done ok.

Yes it's forecast to howl later on (as it is forecast to do right now actually - but it's not...) but it swings to the South which is nigh on running parallel with the bridge.  So other than high sided vehicles it still should be ok I'd have thought.

We're all good along the beach. Did a few drive-bys along the waterfront till 2am and then slept like a baby till 8:30. Missed half the storm. House shaking a bit but no creaks or leaks. We hadn't had any rain at that point so todays high tide at 1:20 might be a little more interesting. Lots of erosion, water across roads and bits of trees north and south of us. 

28 minutes ago, muzled said:

It's currently 9kn gusting 26kn at Bastion Point, an hour ago in was 8kn gusting 16kn. 

If the sun was out and you closed the bridge in that wind you'd get laughed out of town and rightly so.

Yes it's forecast to howl later on (as it is forecast to do right now actually - but it's not...) but it swings to the South which is nigh on running parallel with the bridge.  So other than high sided vehicles it still should be ok I'd have thought.

Damned if you do and damned if you dont!

• Upvote 1

The weather does seem a bit odd. Woke up this morning. Raining but not heavy, no wind. Hmmm, that cyclone was a fizzer !!

Looked on Coastguard nowcasting. 80 knots peak at Mokes, 75 at whangaparaoa, 75 at Channel 5 at bean rock. It certainly seems to be significant in the open areas.

Makes sense for the Govt to be cautious on this one. Better to be criticised for overreacting than not doing enough.

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

Non event south of manukau.norhibg in Papakura/te awamutu/Otorohanga/Huntly.Just annoying drizzle.Se don't bring much rain/wind southern districts.

Coromandel will absorb it for those areas but Te Aroha will get absolutely nailed once it gets a bit of southing 

You definitely want the bridge open when you can, not a blanket closure. Think, for example, hospital employees who live on the shore.

So far it's definitely a bit of a damp squib. Maybe the decision to close schools was the right one based on the forecast, but as I sit here cooped up in the house with the kids (and the in-laws) while it's neither windy not rainy, it does look like an overreaction in hindsight. 

3 minutes ago, khayyam said:

You definitely want the bridge open when you can, not a blanket closure. Think, for example, hospital employees who live on the shore.

So far it's definitely a bit of a damp squib. Maybe the decision to close schools was the right one based on the forecast, but as I sit here cooped up in the house with the kids (and the in-laws) while it's neither windy not rainy, it does look like an overreaction in hindsight. 

We are only getting 50 knot gusts here now two hours north , so if what we had earlier happens in Auckland it will be quite an event 

2 hours ago, muzled said:

Fair comment muzzled.   I guess it is the sudden gusts out of no where that can cause issues in seemingly benign conditions....certainly those. readings at Bastion Pt you mention are indeed benign which made me wonder if we are in the actual eye, but the eye is a ways offshore

5 hours ago, Romany said:

And now from the meaningless graph department.

This came up on windy when i swiped or clicked or something...

Anybody got a clue as to what it means?

Screenshot_20230213_072043_Windy.jpg

Yes that is data from the ‘weather balloon’ released to calibrate the weather models. Wind direction an velocity on right, Blue look like temperature, elevation by pressure on left.

2 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Coromandel will absorb it for those areas but Te Aroha will get absolutely nailed once it gets a bit of southing 

The whole vid below is worth watching, but at 2:49 , Phillip Duncan basically backs that up Ex M as to why Auckland has dodged the bullet so far.
This is his latest update just bought out a few mins ago