Boat in distress of Gt Barrier

JK

The Herald is reporting a boat in distress off Gt Barrier at 2:30am this morning. Having been woken at Matarangi by the weather around 2am I checked PredictWind & it was gusting close to 80kn at that time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Adrianp said:

Sounds like they may have been aboard when the vessel broke its mooring?

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/13/one-missing-after-boat-breaks-mooring-near-great-barrier-island/

Bloody unfortunate way to go.... but probably not surprising given the conditions.

I went to check on my boat (moored up a usually sheltered river) yesterday afternoon. The first thing I witnessed was a dinghy levitating above the water with a volunteer aboard trying to rescue another members boat which had broken its mooring. 5 of us ended up in dinghies checking every club boat in the river and replaced mooring lines on more than a dozen boats that had either broken or were just about to. Conditions could only be described as atrocious and to be fair, we probably shouldn't have been out there. What really pissed me of about the whole situation is that despite all the warnings and requests from the club to check your boat and mooring, there were so many that had clearly not been checked, potentially putting other boats/ lives at risk.

RIP to the owner of the GB boat, thoughts go out to the families affected. 

• Upvote 2

The Frigate left right on sunset, was quite an odd sight watching is vanish into the mist.

Local at Barrier told me, it broke its mooring and hit rocks/land, mayday went out, they were waiting till full tide to free it, but somehow ts got off on its own accord and headed out to sea. 

Not sure if owner was on or off boat at the time it freed itself.

44 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Te Mana has launched a boat by the looks of it on AIS 

No, that is just when it switches from shore based to satelite.  It becomes a Tug/Special when it is detected via Satelite unless you have a subscription.

When they go out of shore range the shore position stays at its last location with the time decaying, and a Satelite position indicator starts up.

In the image below, the actual position is the top right one (received by Satelite)

While the last shore based location is bottom left, and 13minutes old.

image.png.fea6481967ac25f9f93b949999093c48.png

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

No, that is just when it switches from shore based to satelite.  It becomes a Tug/Special when it is detected via Satelite unless you have a subscription.

When they go out of shore range the shore position stays at its last location with the time decaying, and a Satelite position indicator starts up.

In the image below, the actual position is the top right one (received by Satelite)

While the last shore based location is bottom left, and 13minutes old.

image.png.fea6481967ac25f9f93b949999093c48.png

Thanks for pointing that out , learn something everyday ! .  The whole situation is quite distressing and the way it unfolded could not be predicted .

• Upvote 1