Boat in distress of Gt Barrier

JK

A lot happened before the Navy got involved.
Police boat Deodar made it to Little Barrier but had to turn back. 
3 helicopters involved. One got there but it was too rough to perform rescue.
The sailor only turned on his EPIRB after 24ish hours, which was a big help.

More details here:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/amazing-rescue-photo-teams-push-to-their-limits-to-save-boatie-in-extremely-dangerous-8m-waves/QQXEHIBOLZCEZNTLMFLMGBBMOU/

• Upvote 1

Always frustrated by reporting like this that uses the term "Boatie". Conjures up images of a dude in a tinny wearing shorts 'n a T-shirt.
And then comments such as "...reminding boaties to stay off the water", which again somehow suggest that the skipper was a fool for going sailing rather than being more precise and pointing out the circumstances of this event were not "a boatie popping out for a fish".

I wonder if someone is swept out to sea in their house, are they called a boatie? 

7 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Always frustrated by reporting like this that uses the term "Boatie". Conjures up images of a dude in a tinny wearing shorts 'n a T-shirt.
And then comments such as "...reminding boaties to stay off the water", which again somehow suggest that the skipper was a fool for going sailing rather than being more precise and pointing out the circumstances of this event were not "a boatie popping out for a fish".

I wonder if someone is swept out to sea in their house, are they called a boatie? 

You forgot the "beer in one hand, fishing rod in the other"

I too detest the 'Boatie' term.  I detest 'Boaties' full stop.  I have no respect for anyone on a stinkpot.
But, unfortunately, the term is embedded in the media.

• Downvote 2
7 hours ago, DrWatson said:

In the Herald a house swept out to sea would be reported as a great new way to get better coastal positions.  They would mention the increase in value and the difference between that value and the RV.

Frankly, a few property developers swept out to sea sounds like a very good idea. 

8 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Its patronising, but people are treated like children a lot of the time by the media and the bureaucrats. 

33 minutes ago, Zozza said:

I have no respect for anyone on a stinkpot.

A sad indictment on you Zozza to judge a large number of people using such a sweeping generalisation simply by the type of boat they are on. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
1 hour ago, Zozza said:

You forgot the "beer in one hand, fishing rod in the other"

I too detest the 'Boatie' term.  I detest 'Boaties' full stop.  I have no respect for anyone on a stinkpot.
But, unfortunately, the term is embedded in the media.

I have trailer stink boat.why time constraints.Yacht would sit on mooring unused for 2 to 3 months unused.Trailer boat in backyard cost nothing.would like a trailer sailer but can't be arsed rigging it for 2 to 3 hrsuse.there us a handy compound at kkb but need to live south of the Bombay's. No beers until home and majority of catch is given away to elderly neighbours.Who can afford $50 kg for snapper?? 

• Upvote 3

I think Zozza, you will find a lot of launch owners are retired yacht owners that are no longer as mobile as they once were and have gone the launch way. Then there are those that have both. Not good to generalise. 

• Upvote 2

I'm a hard core sailor, and while there is some dickhead boaties, many are ex yachties who love being on the water.  I dont want a launch, but if it were the only option to get out on the water, why not?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow.  Weird.  The number of members on here that have complained about Pillocks in Riverias and the like , be it exceeding the speed limit, creating unneccesary wake, almost hitting your yacht...you guys even started and conrtibuted to a thread about it:

I think it says more about you lot than anyone else.  

Edit: Ok, yeah yeah, if you didn't directly contribute to that particular Pillock thread, then good on yah, but you know what I am saying -- it's been open season on stinkpot boaties in that thread and on Crew.org in general about stinkpots -- so, frankly, I find your little whinging about me calling a spade a spade about boaties in stinkpots hypocritical BS.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Here we go -- Harrytom calling for 'Regulation' due to this Riveria' antics - and that's after Psyche (the new site owner?) called stinkpot owners "the preponderance of giant launches purchased by people who are morons...."

So, I am going to be little stronger in my reply to you guys in this thread that piled onto me - go get stuffed and apply your same 'outrage' to everyone else that may have used generalisations - FFS.

Cheers
--------------------------------------
1479681179_ScreenShot2023-02-16at12_51_08PM.thumb.png.a16a3c628cdd99c0b3ff55ef6143906f.png

Its fair to say that most powerboat owners are responsible and dare i say it if yachts were faster and could go any direction at speed then their skippers would be equally obnoxious in about the same numbers. Dont think so? Who hasn't had the "dont you know  who I am" treatment from large yachts? Ask Gypsy's owners.

Moving on this I want to know what happened, as there are conflicting stories here. Was 888 anchored or moored and where. Ive heard both Tryphena and Fitzroy and both moored and anchored. If anchored why didnt the owner run it up into the mud somewhere and tie it to a tree and if on a mooring was  it rated and maintained?. Was it chafe?  Was he living aboard or on a  cruise, why was he aboard just at that moment or was he doing something with the gear, why didnt he make a run for it prior to the ugliest cyclone since Bola. What happened to the propulsion system etc. On the rescue front, I think a report on the Deodar going out on those conditions is also probably warranted as its seems very high risk .

6 minutes ago, Zozza said:

Here we go -- Harrytom calling for 'Regulation' due to this Riveria' antics - and that's after Psyche (the new site owner?) called stinkpot owners "the preponderance of giant launches purcharsed by people who are morons...."

So, I am going to be little stronger in my reply to you guys in this thread that piled onto me - go get stuffed and apply your same 'outrage' to everyone else that may have used generalisations - FFS.

Cheers
--------------------------------------
1479681179_ScreenShot2023-02-16at12_51_08PM.thumb.png.a16a3c628cdd99c0b3ff55ef6143906f.png

Zozza, dont use me to divert attention from your comment, preponderance is overstated but I had been nearly run down, swamped etc several times on one cruise! The point is clear you don't need manners, experience or a license to operate a huge pleasure vessel in NZ.

5 minutes ago, Zozza said:

Dig up bro

• Like 1

Gently chaps, gently. The unemotional facts are that 1] 95% at least of people on the water are reasonably sensible, and sometimes make mistakes through ignorance. I certainly have.

2] we always remember the odd one who really gave us a fright.

3] yes, its a pity that there is no size/power limit for people buying and operating their first boat. MOst of us have worked our way up from dinghys to keelboats or launches and therefore mostly know what we are doing. let's not lable whole groups because of a few idiots.

• Upvote 4