Debris in the Gulf and nighttime sailing - Balokovic Cup

What's people's views on the amount of debris in the Gulf and the risk to a vessel nighttime sailing this Friday night? 

We're supposed to be doing the Balokovic Cup which takes us from Westhaven, South of Waiheke, across to Coromandel, up to Kawau and back to Westhaven.

I don't feel particularly good about going sailing so soon after this storm - but it's just a feeling and isn't based on evidence or even opinion.

I believe RAYC is going to put out some advice soon, which could even be a cancellation, so that could make the decision easier.

I think I would feel the same as you. Down here in Mercury Bay there have been some very large logs come down the harbour and out to sea. I know you are on the other side of the Coromandel but I would still feel uneasy. 

NOTICE TO COMPETITORS # 1
Posted Wednesday 15 February 2023 at 1240 hours

Please note that the BALOKOVIC CUP scheduled for Friday 17 February has been postponed due to the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle. A revised race date will be announced in due course.

That was probably a good call. Was out in Firth yesterday afternoon and yes there were a few logs/wood etc and semi submerged as we had a brush with one bit. Never saw it just felt the bump as we doing were trolling at 3knts.

• Like 1

Been on the water all weekend and there is certainly a lot of debris out there. A few big logs that would give you more than a bump at 5 or 6 knots. 

The starboard channel marker at Weiti River must be floating out in the gulf somewhere too cos it ain't where it usually is😅