Katana - NZ Circumnavigation

Katana - a Sunfast 3600 that races out of Auckland is beginning an anti-clockwise solo circumnavigation of NZ today. 

Follow along here:

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Katana/

It's been a long time between posts but just arriving out at Great Barrier to start a continuous ( hopefully) solo around NZ. Will go anticlockwise..Start this evening off the Needles and hopefully cross my path in a few weeks. Tracker thanks to Predictwind. Looking pretty light the next few days...happy about that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, Romany said:

Good on him (?) but why? Is it fund raising for a cause, or just because. 

Just because, plus he needs to do a qualifying passage for the solo Tasman, this should do it

• Like 1

This from Richmond Yacht Club Facebook page:

This morning we farewelled Nigel - a RYC sailor off to sail around NZ. We wish him all the best, and we’ll be keeping track of him! Here’s what he has to say. Thanks to everyone who showed up to send Nigel off. Fair Winds! 

‘Last year I started thinking about a solo challenge on Katana (Sunfast 3600) that didn’t require the hassles of leaving NZ waters but still being able to keep a safe distance from land. I had everything needed including a life raft, Iridium Go and recent Cat 2 cert so around NZ seemed like an exciting plan. I will try to do it without stopping but will seek shelter if there is some bad weather ahead. I don’t know if someone has done this previously but I would like to set a time that is a challenge for other solo sailors to have a go at on both an actual time and PHRF corrected time basis.
My basic rules are as follows:
Start and finish by crossing your own path, after a circumnavigation around NZ, anywhere around NZ’s coastline. I will be starting and finishing off the north end of Great Barrier Island
Time keeps ticking so it is ok to stop if needed but if the engine is used for propulsion must re-start from behind where the engine was first used.
All help is ok.
It is a challenge not a race so safety and caution first

I am going to do it anticlockwise and plan to go south of Stewart Island.  I have to keep within 200nm of shore for insurance purposes.

At this stage I hope to leave Auckland on Thursday 16th  Feb and start from the Barrier on Friday 17th. The forecast looks light so likely to be a slow first week which should be good to get into an appropriate rhythm.
I will be checking in a couple of times a day with NZ Maritime Radio

Also - Thanks to PredictWind I have an offshore tracker that I will try to update with comments daily. The link is: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Katana/

The Distance is about 2100nm in straight lines so hope to be back in 3 weeks.

19 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

The bit about insurance is weird 

My insurance is the same.  Some insurers have a limit of 50nm.

We cover your vessel, as described on the schedule (including equipment required to be on board for the operation and maintenance of the vessel), afloat on all inland and coastal waters within 200 nautical miles of the North and South Islands of New Zealand and while ashore or being transported on a land conveyance, including loading or unloading.

Cover will not apply from the time of Customs clearance, or from the time when legal Customs clearance is required on departure from New Zealand, until Customs clearance on return to New Zealand

This time last year he was pedalling the length of NZ in the Tour Aotearoa, then came back and did the Three Kings race two handed -in fact there were a number of crew who had just done the TA on that race!

These guys know how to live -good on him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I see skipper has decided to shoot the gap and do 'just' a RNI. Fair call.

I'd be thinking hard about getting to Cook and turning around. East Coast with all the potential for floating timber seems like a scarey prospect to me.

• Upvote 2