Sam Holmes Sailing Controversies

When does low budget cruising become an irresponsible hazard to others?    First Sam leaves his 'free' boat unattended with inadequate ground tackle, and it goes for a wander.  His attitude was "Well the area I anchored was full of abandoned boats, so who cares"

Then in the next vid, he runs aground on a beach.

Apparently a year before we took a small hobie cat I think, from Florida to Bahamas with  a chicky babe crew, and just left the wrecked vessel on a beach when he ran into difficulties.

I'm torn - I've run across the plummed voiced "Yachtsman" or 'Captain Piddlemarks' type who think their brown stuff don't stink, and tsk tsk any solo sailor who doesn't do things 'according to Hoyle' (, but I also think this Sam fella is starting to behave like an idiot because his recent actions show little consideration for others as far as potential damage to environment by ditching a plastic boat such as that Hobie on a beach, and possibly damaging other peoples boats with p*ss poor ground tackle while he jets off to Norway for some skiing with another chicky babe.....all this perhaps makes desk bound tools start to put together legislation with all sorts of new 'rules' to make it harder to go out there and live free as able on the water.  

So, I'm a bit torn - I want to get out there one day and sail to some of the places solo that he has....but I want to avoid "tool time" decisions that he is making.  But, there is always a chance even the most experienced Yachtie will make an eff up or two - so I am wary to get on me High Horse...
He is getting shellacked on Sailing Anarchy forums and in a lot of the comments on his channel - but just doesn't seem to care.  

Anyway, thought it be a good topic for other CrewDotOrgers to discuss from a Kiwi point of view...

I have not heard about this dude before and I don't intend to watch his self chronicled antics. There is simply too much of that out there.

Not a Kiwi view but something a Canadian who had lived for decades in the Caribbean once wrote in a forum when people complained about being 'ripped off' by locals when sailing there. From the top of my head so not verbatim: The mere fact that you have time off, time to go sailing for pleasure, makes you a walking wallet in their eyes.

/Martin

14 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Never heard of him.

I doubt indeed he would show up on Youtube recommendations!
BP: "What Youtube recommendations?  What are they?" 

My youtube sailing diet is pretty much based around channels where the people sail and are poorly funded - their challenges and the way they resolve them are usually insightful and educational. There are plenty of channels showing people in 50 foot sailing catamarans in exotic places looking for photo/video fodder who mostly motor around and can't be bothered going to windward in their floating block of flats.

I cover Sam Holmes, Adventures of an old sea dog, Free range sailing (when they used to sail), and some Norwegian bloke whose name I can't pronounce.

I've learned bits and pieces from them all, particularly maintenance and DIY skills.  The first two I wouldn't join on a sailing adventure if it went further than swimming distance from the beach.  The other guys have professional levels of seamanship which I also learn from.

• Upvote 2

NZ Tiger....Yeah the big boats big Cat Condos, eg La Vagabonde....I have never seen the attraction sailing wise.  Good on 'em, they are earning big money, and getting great deals on these boats to sail where they want, and I guess her being attractive, along with reality Tv type (ie not real) drama, draws people in.

But, they do less thnt zero of interest to me - but takes all sorts, so again, not going to begrudge them and similar channels.  

On 8/03/2023 at 4:32 AM, NZTiger said:

My youtube sailing diet is pretty much based around channels where the people sail and are poorly funded - their challenges and the way they resolve them are usually insightful and educational. There are plenty of channels showing people in 50 foot sailing catamarans in exotic places looking for photo/video fodder who mostly motor around and can't be bothered going to windward in their floating block of flats.

I cover Sam Holmes, Adventures of an old sea dog, Free range sailing (when they used to sail), and some Norwegian bloke whose name I can't pronounce.

I've learned bits and pieces from them all, particularly maintenance and DIY skills.  The first two I wouldn't join on a sailing adventure if it went further than swimming distance from the beach.  The other guys have professional levels of seamanship which I also learn from.

Check out Sailorama on YouTube, a couple of very resourceful young sailors with little in the way of money who are slowly restoring their free boat while sailing around Mexico/Caribbean. They haven't had a working engine in quite a long time, but haven't let that stop them!

• Like 1

I am a fan of Sam Holmes and have watched most of his videos.  I have yet to see him put anyone in a dangerous position, other than maybe himself and sometimes a crew member who volunteered to accompany him.  I find him resourceful, smart, and brave.

All the La-Z-Boy recliner skippers who get bent over Sam’s adventures need to switch channels and watch reruns of game shows or old sitcoms.