The Whitbread-volvo-ocean race ...

I still believe that something has been lost , since those early days-the romance, the adventure,the parties, 29 competitors coming in to Auckland -crews staying on board unless they got lucky ! Not rushing off to the dietician and gym. Four boats currently racing......

• Upvote 1

I think they deserve something better than staying aboard. The punishment they are taking seems to be extreme. 

I wouldn't back any of them to finish this leg. It's a long way to go.

On 8/03/2023 at 5:17 PM, waikiore said:

I still believe that something has been lost , since those early days-the romance, the adventure,the parties, 29 competitors coming in to Auckland -crews staying on board unless they got lucky ! Not rushing off to the dietician and gym. Four boats currently racing......

I have Digby Taylors book,  'One Mans Dream' and it is really a great read

On 10/03/2023 at 2:46 PM, Zozza said:

I have Digby Taylors book,  'One Mans Dream' and it is really a great read

I have just read it - yes it's a fantastic book. Then I read the sequel 'The NZI Enterprise story'. Not as good a read, but an interesting follow up.
Even in 1986 Digby was saying that the adventure had been lost, too many legs, too much info about other boats positions, and so he wouldn't want to do another one.

But later this next year they will revive the Whitbread race - it's called the Ocean Globe race: https://oceangloberace.com/the-race/race-rules/

• Upvote 1