Clear finishing cabin top handrails

SO doesn't have any exterior brightwork and I'm keen to keep it to a minimum, but the handrails seem like an easy small amount to add a bit of bling look without huge ongoing effort.

Also easy to remove for refinishing as required.

I'm proposing to sand, evadure, then probably single pack clear coat.  I'm agnostic as to product brand, brushed not sprayed.

Feedback from the hive please.

IMG_20230308_092416_1.thumb.jpg.6948f0e8577440b6303b588c69084625.jpg

I used Quila stain. Looks good and lasted 2 years. No sanding, just put it straight on and it looks great. When you need to recoat in a couple of years there is no prep work, just put it straight on.

Obviously you would have to sound for first coat.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, LBD said:

just how good is it from your experience?

Awlwood MA is much superior to traditional varnishes, from my tests and experience easily lasts twice as long. The extra cost is easily worth it.

Follow the instructions closely (use one of the primers, disposable foam brushes, etc). Also can easily do 2-3 coats/day in summer.

No contest for external varnish, IMO.

• Like 2

I'd agree with Corella - IF the option is varnish vs Awlgrip.

But for just handrails which are a small area and easily up kept every other year I'd go for an oil or a stain. Something Bunnings have that is used for decks for instance. Really easy to apply, easy to clean when re application is needed. Plus (assuming the rails are teak) there's plenty of easy to use once-every-year teak products at Burnsco etc that also have the benefit of CHEAP (in comparison to varnishes/Awlgrip etc).

But - if you want the full GLOSSY - go for Awlgrip

My 2 cents worth............... :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Corella said:

Awlwood MA is much superior to traditional varnishes, from my tests and experience easily lasts twice as long. The extra cost is easily worth it.

Follow the instructions closely (use one of the primers, disposable foam brushes, etc). Also can easily do 2-3 coats/day in summer.

No contest for external varnish, IMO.

Have put one litre primer and two litres topcoat on the shopping list... I have a bit of effort ahead of me on some bright work that warrants several coats of a single pack varnish.

Ok well that's an improvement.  We went the oil based stain way.

IMG_20230309_182901_1.thumb.jpg.87a4a31a0da62fe21fd67d08c3a4c8a2.jpg

Yes, there is still some white topcoat visible in the grain, but I wasn't going to sand away 0.5mm  of timber all around for the sake of  an imperfection you can't see from 3m away.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, chariot said:

I found using a stain that next time I didn't need to sand back, just went straight over the top and it was fine.

Thanks for the tip.  How often do you recoat?  I'm just rubbing it on using a Scotch Brite pad....

Too late into this thread, sorry, and the stain you’ve used looks great. But for others considering this I can recommend Sikkens Cetol HLSe Teak. Easy to apply and touch up each year while tucked up in a snug anchorage.

C21C669C-4810-4A5B-AB79-77AEB0C1A8E8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Crikey Lindsay, you are a stuntman posting that! You might get lambasted by the anti stinkpot brigade even tho you might be an old stick and rag man with a healthy interest in all things marine! 

Back on topic.... I have a lot of brightwork. I went oil for the first 4 years then gave it away. Would get 9 months looking good then not so good. Went Awlcraft system 5 years ago and would never go back. Great product. More time on the water with my silent solar setup and my generator sound effect. Just in case..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BNG said:

Crikey Lindsay, you are a stuntman posting that! You might get lambasted by the anti stinkpot brigade even tho you might be an old stick and rag man with a healthy interest in all things marine! 

Back on topic.... I have a lot of brightwork. I went oil for the first 4 years then gave it away. Would get 9 months looking good then not so good. Went Awlcraft system 5 years ago and would never go back. Great product. More time on the water with my silent solar setup and my generator sound effect. Just in case..

Good to hear... just bought a supply of awlgrip primer and gloss today...

On 15/03/2023 at 8:36 PM, Lindsay said:

Too late into this thread, sorry, and the stain you’ve used looks great. But for others considering this I can recommend Sikkens Cetol HLSe Teak. Easy to apply and touch up each year while tucked up in a snug anchorage.

C21C669C-4810-4A5B-AB79-77AEB0C1A8E8.jpeg

I also use the Sikkens product on coachroof handrails 

• Like 1