RNZYS is facing a trading loss of up to $1.6 million

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS) is facing a trading loss of up to $1.6 million in the current financial year and is “immediately” reviewing its operations in a hunt for savings.Auckland’s blue ribbon sailing club is blaming poor trading conditions caused by covid-19 and the impact of stormy weather in early 2023 for the projected loss of between $1.4m and $1.6m.However, sources with knowledge of the situation suggest the club is also suffering from membership losses caused by its decision last year to allow the ne...

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/americas-cup/royal-nz-yacht-squadron-appoints-razor-gang-as-16m-loss-looms

• Haha 1

Yes there has been a large drop in membership, since Team Dalton took the cup and the corporate money that came with it.

Of course the club could save a lot by sacking the newly hired doof doof DJs that have been driving the paying members to the other side of the building or away home on a Friday and Sunday afternoon. Sunday afternoon Jazz now thats an idea☠️ Luckily the sailing side of things is continuing well. 

Dad was a member for yrs and yrs when they were in parliament st.brought debentures when they moved to the old trillos building.There was suppose to be a wet weather bar downstairs for crews as they were dressed.no formal crap.didnt last long so he resigned way back in 1985. America's cup.covid but the killer will be drink driving.Have a couple while going around the track.Do I risk a couple more in the bar or go home. Only 2 ways in/out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 10/03/2023 at 10:36 AM, waikiore said:

And last Friday night up the offramp, little ole water drinker me felt quite smug , though I believe some of the more extreme rum racers resorted to walking

Same thing happened to me Sunday afternoon previous.
Are cops having a breath testing blitz on Westhaven boaties at the moment?

3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Boats/Alcohol/clubs. easy target

3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

And me, Wednesday evening a couple of weeks ago. It used to be a popular spot for them, then nothing for a few years. I doubt it’s aimed at the yacht clubs, more just North Shore into western suburbs route. 

• Like 2

Not the only Westhaven club in the crap I'd say.

I suspect the ones complaining the loudest will be the ones that drink on their boats until 2 minutes before prizegiving

Then again overpriced drinks and pub food at restaurant prices doesn't grab you either. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

In their defence, the new CEO at RNZYS is recognising some of those issues, and rum races are now just $10.

Hey Arian, what's the cost of a Wednesday night length race on Aprils Fools day with NZMYC? 😀

• Upvote 3

The rum race is meant to be an easy way to go racing, some clubs charge pretty much the cost of a bottle of rum  for a casual entry so why would you enter when you can guarantee a winning afternoon by buying a bottle and going for a sail without club politics? Trying to make money or cover club costs by charging (high) race fees is gun-shoot-foot  material. Eventually people say nah, its not worth it. The logic behind the high casual rates its to force people to join or make members feel privileged for being a member. Thats old school thinking for when there were queues of people lining up to join and go sailing. 

The world has changed and no matter the spin, keelboat sailing is in decline for all the reasons people have discussed in the past here. Its less affordable than its ever been, people dont have time plus the perennial crew problem. At times it feels as if yachting under pressure from all directions, YNZ seems to be all about dinghies, gongs and the Americas Cup, Panuku seems intent on killing yachting with berthage, the  council DGAF about facilities and so on.  Then you get the clubs who are pretty mixed when it comes to reading the room.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if its like this now, but Squadron has a history of being the club that you joined for the same reasons you were in the Auckland Club - connections.  Yes it has a long sailing history, but it has a wider history of deals being done and business relationships being fostered, enhanced and social standing being managed.

Thats not necessarily a negative thing, just an observation.

• Upvote 1