Liveaboard questions

Hi everyone, new to this forum so please be kind while I ask my potentially pretty dumb questions. My husband and I are wanting to purchase a sailboat and have the option to stay on it for longer times. Not fully living on board but go there on holidays and weekends and maybe longer periods here and there as well. We're in the bay of plenty and the marinas here don't allow this (the longest you can stay is 2 consecutive nights or something like that). So, couple of questions: anyone know of a marina close to Tauranga that would allow liveaboard? Is liveaboard at a mooring allowed?

I can't seem to find any rules around what's allowed at a mooring anywhere. Any guidance around where and whether liveaboard is allowed would be really appreciated. 

Talk with BOP Regional Council.

Their website has a lot of info on boating safety.  The only thing I can find on live-aboard is a requirement that holding tanks are emptied at least every five days.  No holding tank can be emptied ANYWHERE in the Tauranga Harbour, so this requirement means either a marina with a sewerage hookup, or twice-weekly trips to empty out, either outside the harbour or at a marina.

"Overnight stays on vessels using moorings or anchorages If you want to stay overnight on your boat it must be equipped with a sewage treatment system or holding tank, or have a portable toilet on board. You can’t stay for more than five nights on the boat unless all sewage has been pumped-out at a suitable facility or legal disposal of sewage has occurred."

content (boprc.govt.nz)  Page 51.

Despite all the sewage regulations, people live aboard vessels at the Sulphur Point (not so well supported) and Bridge Marina has a larger number, they have sewage pump out facilities on site. Many others live aboard in town reach (inside harbour bridge), by Bridge Marina and Pilot Bay. Many of those anchor only and don't have moorings. A guy came sailing with me lived on their boat (2 adults 3 children) and stayed at either Pilot Bay or by Bridge Marina, he reckoned he dumped his sewage well offshore twice a week or used Bridge Marinas facilities. Another mooring area is Omokoroa and a small area at Te Puna Inlet nearby. A possibility is a sewage treatment system. Check it out.

• Like 1

Oh yup very helpful comments, thanks everyone! Had been thinking of composting toilet actually, we were literally talking about it today :-) Interesting though that there's liveaboards at the bridge marina because they told me it wasn't allowed, although I only asked about the berths so I guess it would be different for moorings. 

12 hours ago, Aspiringpirate said:

Oh yup very helpful comments, thanks everyone! Had been thinking of composting toilet actually, we were literally talking about it today :-) Interesting though that there's liveaboards at the bridge marina because they told me it wasn't allowed, although I only asked about the berths so I guess it would be different for moorings. 

Bridge Marina doesn't have moorings, they are close by and managed by EBOP  The liveaboard community in the Bridge Marina is the strongest in area

Holding tanks being dropped in tbe harbour by liveaboards is a problem evidenced by a simple sniff on occasions ive stayed on board at Bridge marina so you can expect some tougher regulation/enforcement soon. 

Id definitely look at Composting as BP suggests. 

BP - itd be fgood to know  how often and how you have to empty your compost? (i was going to type empty your head but it didnt sound nice!)

Lots of options for disposal. Overboard when out of the river, a couple of the houses ashore here have asked for it on their flower garden, yc has a dumpster....

The advertising says once a month with 2 people aboard.  Never really checked as not an issue. 

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Lots of options for disposal. Overboard when out of the river, a couple of the houses ashore here have asked for it on their flower garden, yc has a dumpster....

The advertising says once a month with 2 people aboard.  Never really checked as not an issue. 

That is amazing. 

One thing to take into consideration is the extra overall height of an Airhead toilet as compared to a Lavac or common pump type toilet. "Head" room can be an issue!!! crapping with your head at a 45° angle for a 5'10" male is not recommended. Short women and 4" + shorter males shouldn't have a problem.