The Boat Show

Interesting observations after a 3 year break, not much yachting equipment in evidence only Sailutions there no Harken Fosters or Kiwi Yachting, both of whom had executive positions within Marine NZ in recent years?

No sailing apparel, people were asking where to find it -so I sent them along to Sailors. Large number of boats on the water and great weather -should be good next year booked for a week before Sail GP.

Whaddya talking about ? just rebrand the fizzers as yachts and its 100% sailboats "Orakei Marine christened two new Prestige "yachts"  to fanfare during the show, with a champagne christening to mark the handover to their delighted new owners. Joined by clients and owners, the celebration not only marked two successful sales of the Prestige 460S and Prestige 520"

My mate brought a Bentley too , I'm helping him to mount the outboard.

• Haha 1

"A yacht /jɒt/ is a sailing or power vessel used for pleasure, cruising, or racing.[2][3][4] There is no standard definition, though the term generally applies to vessels with a cabin intended for overnight use. To be termed a yacht, as opposed to a boat, such a pleasure vessel is likely to be at least 33 feet (10 m) in length and may have been judged to have good aesthetic qualities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht#:~:text=The term%2C yacht%2C originates from,waters of the Low Countries.

Hence, Brittania is the Royal Yacht.

I suppose it stems from the days when Fizz boat designs were sailing hulls with an auxillary, literally Motor Yachts. I'm not sure how many modern design have been  judged to have good aesthetic qualities, its in the eye of the beholder etc I guess.

• Upvote 1

Had a couple of people complain that they wanted to buy sailing electronics but none were on display! I believe that B & G were there but hidden behind the usual fish finders etc, Also someone who wished to upgrade his package on a big Riviera, the young Raymarine fellow did not know the equipment being referred to and no follow up call...

• Haha 2

I do remember attending the local boat show but not when it was. The most interesting part was the corner where they showed cartoons for kids. Antipodean boat shows seems to be marginally better at best.

Some years earlier I did go to the London Boat Show. That was interesting because my friend who brought me there knows everyone in sailing through his work. His father filmed the first round the world race and was ships mate with Peter Blake.

/Martin