CAN I BUY a 35-45' liveaboard sailboat for 20-35k? What would you buy?

BLACK PANTHER, I'm really liking this Lidgard Sailing Yacht 34 ft, I have had my eye on her from Asia for a little while now. If I was back in NZ already I would have rocked up to see her. I am back to NZ at the end of April and hope I will still have the opportunity to see.

If anyone spies more boats please keep me in mind because I will be purchasing a boat presently.

"Hiscock.  Bloody autocorrect."

LOL,I was trying to figure that one out :-)

Oh and for a certain Yoda- like obsessive traditionalist   , 0 hp per ton but don't mention the "Tows" 10 points to the first person who can guess the identity. 

9 hours ago, Black Panther said:

That's a sweet design with great bones on the flip side while its  hard to tell from a picture the sails look tired, and the age of the rigging is indeterminable. The auxiliary is a Bukh diesel which will be the original engine most likely,  so its near 50 ys old and  sea water cooled. Hard to say if it is the 10 hp single cyl or the 20 hp twin, but probably the former and underpowered by today's standard, I suspect they have been out of production for a few years. ( Yes I know I'm a glass half full guy, mea culpa ! but I cant help being a realist, I would have brought her in a flash when I was 25 LOL.) To the earlier comment about $100 bills, that's only 1/10th of a Boat Unit. 

Talking about disturbing the mind looking at boats far and wide, how about this honey? I have zero idea about sailing characteristics but it looks tidy to my untrained eye and is posted for 22000 Euro so could possibly be bought for 18 to 20? In NZD that's 32 to 35K

https://www.inautia.com/used-boat-537030230565696968694950704570.html

I just thought I would post for interests sake.

I'm sticking to searching 32 to 35'

On 1/04/2023 at 10:16 PM, Black Panther said:

The trick is not to sail it back to NZ. But if staying in EU need to be sure of vat status.

The OP is relocating to NZ, and although originally from NZ (we assume a Kiwi) after such a long time, 17y, he might qualify to bring his ship import duty free.
You can lurk around EU for 10y without paying VAT, but you have to leave EU at least every 18M.

• Upvote 1

I am thinking about scaling down my boat ambitions and living between a house bus and a smaller keeler or trailer sailer

around 30'. I love the concept of a transportable trailerable boat that could be towed behind the bus, that would be fabulous if it didn't have to be my permanent home(too small) I could stand a couple of weeks or so at a time then sail back to the comfy house bus.

I wonder if anyone has seen a bus backing a yacht down the launching ramp before. hmm maybe a bit too much?

I looked at Neolex 25s and ...... VERY pricy.

As a smart guy suggested, a centerboard boat offers a whole raft of advantages, like anchoring in calm bays and walking to shore. more anchoring and closer access to destinations. Not so totally dependent on the safety of moorings.

Anyone know of a well priced trailer sailer that comes with a dual axle trailer?

On the keeler option I saw this one still on the market for a while, seems tidy.

What do you think?

Marauder 28

$28,000$32,000
Listed 9 weeks ago in Russell, Northland

facebook.com/marketplace/item/981463712759437/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=

2 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

I am thinking about scaling down my boat ambitions and living between a house bus and a smaller keeler or trailer sailer

around 30'. I love the concept of a transportable trailerable boat that could be towed behind the bus, that would be fabulous if it didn't have to be my permanent home(too small) I could stand a couple of weeks or so at a time then sail back to the comfy house bus.

I wonder if anyone has seen a bus backing a yacht down the launching ramp before. hmm maybe a bit too much?

As a smart guy suggested, a centerboard boat offers a whole raft of advantages, like anchoring in calm bays and walking to shore. more anchoring and closer access to destinations. Not so totally dependent on the safety of moorings.

Anyone know of a well priced trailer sailer that comes with a dual axle trailer?

On the keeler option I saw this one still on the market for a while, seems tidy.

What do you think?

Marauder 28

$28,000$32,000
Listed 9 weeks ago in Russell, Northland

facebook.com/marketplace/item/981463712759437/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=

Yes there are house buses around towing trailer yachts. If you do your NZ tour tag Rotorua, Lake Rotoiti for a look at OkawaBay. 105 trailer yachts in the compound there. Some owned by bus owners.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

I have a soft spot for the Cav as it was my first keelboat. Lived aboard for 9 years and sailed all over the Pacific to Alaska and the Caribbean. 

Looks like a good one.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

Something you need to consider is what is your cashflow going to be? Scaling down to a trailer sailer will definitely free up income for living and paying for other things, but running a bus will chew through a lot of that and more. Heavy vehicles are $$$. A decent size campervan is going to set you back +50k. An actual bus, in running order might be had for as little as 10K, but there are no guarantees regarding the condition. The one I linked would swallow at least another 20k turning it into something you might live in. 
Do you have a heavy vehicle license? Any experience driving large vehicles? There are plenty of awesome out of the way places where you will not actually be able to drive to. Not all our roads are long vehicle friendly, esp. up North. Then you have the issue of where to hell do you park it? I know a number of people who live in buses and they are always at the mercy of someone else, be it a benevolent benefactor who gives them a spot for a while, or the council banging on your door making you move along. 
Heavy vehicles, like heavy boats, suck money. Not only fuel, and maintenance but also insurance and compliance (self contained cert etc...). Now add the maintenance, insurance and compliance costs of your boat and trailer to that. 

Here's a thought. 
Get a reasonable towing vehicle that you can drive on a car license - even one of those little 3tonne box body trucks. Buy This Noelex 30, and find a trailer. Use the boat as your accommodation both on land and on the water - yeah there's not as much space as in a bus. But you can still do it.  But you're still gonna need more than 30k.

• Upvote 1

Black Panther, I am liking this  Van De Stadt A LOT. 

Because I am in China at the moment, the Chinese government is blocking my VPN (they always binge on blocking VPN periodically for a couple of weeks) sadly I cannot access Facebook or the functionality of trade me. I can look at trade me pictures very slowly but all the functionality is cut out because the Chinese Great Wall is blocking. This is one of the many reasons I'm not going to be living in China permanently in future.

I'm wondering if anyone could be so wonderful enough to help me to get that owner's phone number so I can give his cell phone a call by SKYPE which still works.

The Van De Stadt looks like a very spacious comfortable boat that seems to be in pretty good condition. I will do some research about it online and try to get some opinions as to whether you guys think that boat would serve my needs that I've outlined in the previous comments.

If it is a contender I could potentially make an offer based on the survey even though I hadn't seen the boat.

Do you think I might be being very impulsive?

It would be fantastic to have a boat waiting when I arrived in New Zealand if it is the right boat at the right price.

Can anyone take a stab at what they think this boat might eventually sell for?

I don't know how well boats are selling in the winter.

This trade me auction will finish on 21 April, the same day I returned to New Zealand so I would miss it.

I would be interested to know your thoughts about this boat and see if anyone could help me to get that phone number?

Your care is much appreciated.

Adam Cinelli

Hey DrWatson,

really great to get your thoughts and advice.

I'm working on the costings and cash flow, pros and cons for all scenarios for the boat purchasing and truck bus tow vehicle etc.

I really appreciate your clarity, I know the cost projection is just something I should do to get a better handle on making the right decision that's gonna define the next five or 10 years.

I'm very excited about the Noelex 30, although the VPN is blocked in China I checked that link out and that boat looked very tidy. But like you said it really pushes my budget quite far into the red, yet the Noelex 30 with the 3 ton truck (good idea) which also has a heap of storage space together would probably be the best outright option for the projects I want to pursue.

I must admit living on a nice big comfortable keelboat with a fireplace in winter is pretty attractive and it is a somewhat more cost-effective option.

I am working work through all these potentialities and I'll post them here if anyone is interested in seeing very simplistic fragmented view of the costs of vehicles for an adventure lifestyle in New Zealand.

18 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

This trade me auction will finish on 21 April, the same day I returned to New Zealand so I would miss it.

If you like it, get a survey done, work out your budget and place a bid.  You don't have to be there when the auction closes, just committed with a realistic offer.

Surveyor will be able to provide additional images if you want them.

Alternatively, engage a broker to act for you and do all the groundwork, and place a bid accordingly.

• Upvote 1