CAN I BUY a 35-45' liveaboard sailboat for 20-35k? What would you buy?

Hey DrWatson,

really great to get your thoughts and advice.

I'm working on the costings and cash flow, pros and cons for all scenarios for the boat purchasing and truck bus tow vehicle etc.

I really appreciate your clarity, I know the cost projection is just something I should do to get a better handle on making the right decision that's gonna define the next five or 10 years.

I'm very excited about the Noelex 30, although the VPN is blocked in China I checked that link out and that boat looked very tidy. But like you said it really pushes my budget quite far into the red, yet the Noelex 30 with the 3 ton truck (good idea) which also has a heap of storage space together would probably be the best outright option for the projects I want to pursue.

I must admit living on a nice big comfortable keelboat with a fireplace in winter is pretty attractive and it is a somewhat more cost-effective option.

I am working work through all these potentialities and I'll post them here if anyone is interested in seeing very simplistic fragmented view of the costs of vehicles for an adventure lifestyle in New Zealand.

Good advice if I was dead certain about the purchase.

I would only get a survey done if the owner accepted an offer that is contingent on the survey outcome and agreed to sell prior to the auction.

I would not get a survey done and then be out bidden at auction.

I think there are plenty of good boats that don't reach reserve and get bought by negotiation after the auction closes.

I better not wet my pants worrying about buying missing out on a good boat because one door closes as another door opens.

I think I have a lot to learn about this class of boats and services moorings etc. Probably the best road to learning is viewing boats and talking to owners about boat culture etc.

Just a couple of weeks and I will be back in NZ and have a good look around.

I am really interested having a good look around in Northland E coast because I have always had a strong affinity with that part of NZ. With the view that  that I might find a mooring for a 10 meter boat be based somewhere there.

Would I be right in thinking a Cav 32 (10M yacht) could live on a 2 ton mooring?

On 31/03/2023 at 3:18 PM, Bad Kitty said:

And always remember, boats are just like strippers, they only work while you're throwing $100 notes at them.

If you only use 1 piece of advice that's been offered up so far, listen to Aardvarkash10 & get it surveyed.

Good luck Pal, you're gonna need it. 

Damn, I always avoided strippers and hot girls with fake eyelashes! I guess that rules me right out of boat life.But YEA it do get your point 😅

On 7/04/2023 at 3:09 AM, Black Panther said:

I have a soft spot for the Cav as it was my first keelboat. Lived aboard for 9 years and sailed all over the Pacific to Alaska and the Caribbean. 

Looks like a good one.

9 years living on a cavalier 32, How did you feel about the space onboard? Was the headroom enough, did you make many upgrades, pros and cons? It would be my most times office. How would you feel about doing video editing and office work on a mooring? Maybe I would probably lighten up the interior with some off-white patterned upholstery and even think about painting a wee bit of the woodwork white ahhhh I know traditionalists might hate the idea and it might affect the resale value but how else can you brighten up the cabin so it doesn't feel a bit like cave-dwelling?

Does anyone add skylights to these types of boats?

Maybe better and simpler to keep the boat original and just change my own mind.

What do you think, Black Panther?

That brings up a good question, I am guessing some of you have spent significant amounts of time moored up. How does that feel? Has anyone actually lived on a mooring? I know it's super inconvenient and somewhat antisocial but I actually love to spend quite a lot of time alone, and I have a huge backlog of images and video editing and rewriting books, etc. so I have heaps to do and time passes really pleasantly and quickly being totally engrossed doing this kind of work. Just worried about feeling queasy the on the mooring all the time and trying to work. Any opinions?

I never get seasick, almost never.

I think living on a mooring in the Northland Harbor and venturing out once or twice a week on exploration and photographic missions is a pretty good plan.

I'm importing a 3.8 m inflatable with an 18 hp motor so I'll be able to zip about and have access all kinds of terrain and places.

I will use an E-bike to get into town and do my regular shopping spree and meet people so don't turn into a Bigfoot.

I will install plenty of solar panels and batteries so most household amenities will be available, of course no washing machine, too much graywater.

Ha ha ha, does anyone wash their clothes with saltwater, or does it really stuff things up?

22 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Sorry to ask but does anyone have an email or Facebook contact for the owner of the Vandestadt 36 .cutter offshore cruiser? My subscription does not allow me to phone Australia only New Zealand and China's blocking the VPN so a little stuck trying to contact this guy. If anyone knows it, thanks in advance, if you guys don't know it is fine just ignore this message.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

9 years living on a cavalier 32, How did you feel about the space onboard? Was the headroom enough, did you make many upgrades, pros and cons? It would be my most times office. How would you feel about doing video editing and office work on a mooring? Maybe I would probably lighten up the interior with some off-white patterned upholstery and even think about painting a wee bit of the woodwork white ahhhh I know traditionalists might hate the idea and it might affect the resale value but how else can you brighten up the cabin so it doesn't feel a bit like cave-dwelling?

Does anyone add skylights to these types of boats?

Maybe better and simpler to keep the boat original and just change my own mind.

What do you think, Black Panther?

I never gave any of those a thought. I just loved being there.

The interior was non standard when built, more living space and fewer beds.

My suggestion whatever you buy is live with it for 12 months before doing anything. Making even the smallest change is expensive and tedious so take that 1st year to find out you don't really need to do it.

• Upvote 1