Major C*ck Up, HELP !

Replacing perkins 4108 Air Filter, dropped the capping wing nut down the intake, accident waiting to happen and it did.

I tried magnets on wires etc to no avail I guess the next stage is to take the manifold off but what are the chances it has gone further and the head has to come off ? I suppose its about he dia of a 20 cent piece maybe bigger.

Any engine gurus out there I would appreciate your help , even if it is not want I want to hear, bloody Murphy has been a constant companion lately F**k it.

8 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Highly unlikely to go into a cylinder, Id keep trying with a magnet or just take the manifold of- its not that hard.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear, I think the wing nut is SS so not magnetic.

Usb endiscope... Pb tech 50 dollar ish... plug into phone have a look first just in case one wing happens to be sitting half in valve seat on open valve.... Then ya know what to do.  Don't fiddle poke prod untill ya know.... If ya find it sitting by a open valve where it's sitting... Wind motor till valve closed whilst watching with camera then make a plan to poke prod hook fiddle or remove manifold. 

Murphy is at play here so eliminate Murphy

Thanks all, I made a vacuum tube as described and tested it on a spare wing nut, it easily latched on from any angle so long as it got within 2 or 3 mm however after many attempts fishing around with it I came up zero so I looked around the engine itself which is in  tight space and found it by feel tucked into a groove between the engine bed and the compartment sidewall. I assumed it had gone down the intake but seemingly not. Now I just have to figure if it is the correct one or another that was lost by a previous owner, I might get  a USB camera today as a final check before starting the engine. I heard Murphy muttering he will get me next time.

• Like 1

. remove intake as others have said, Peace of mind.  Yesterday changing engine mount on the boys Saab, thought the nuts had disappeared in to the chassis rails, odd ball size and imperil., but after a search found them. Not where one would of thought directly underneath but about 2m away on the driveway.17mm socket nut but 3/8 threads.

Ya gotta love imperial and metric mixes, camera worked well and showed all clear, have since run the motor and all good, yes its unreal how far a dropped fastener can travel.

• Upvote 1
On 1/04/2023 at 12:06 PM, Frank said:

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear, I think the wing nut is SS so not magnetic.

Not all SS's are non magnetic, depends on the application and manufacturer and the accountant.

On 1/04/2023 at 6:36 PM, harrytom said:

. remove intake as others have said, Peace of mind.  Yesterday changing engine mount on the boys Saab, thought the nuts had disappeared in to the chassis rails, odd ball size and imperil., but after a search found them. Not where one would of thought directly underneath but about 2m away on the driveway.17mm socket nut but 3/8 threads.

Saab with strange imperial fastener??? Haven't Sweden been metric since, well, 1889?

4 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

Saab with strange imperial fastener??? Haven't Sweden been metric since, well, 1889?

swedish,built in finland and norwegan input,no wonder they dont exist anymore

21 minutes ago, harrytom said:

swedish,built in finland and norwegan input,no wonder they dont exist anymore

Bought and sold by GM as well.  Great innovators (turbo, fwd, and the funky ignition-key-in-the-centre-console thing) but very British in that stuff broke all the time or didn't work and oil leaked everywhere...  Made planes that weren't great too.