Marina Hulll Inspections

Just received a notice from  Bayswater Marina that Auckland Council are about to carry out hull inspections in the marina for pest species and growth etc.  If their divers find anything suchlike on your hull , you will get a notice from the council and have to clean it.

I actually don't have a problem with us having to antifoul and keep our hulls clean of crap, but what I do object strongly to- is that while the divers are inspecting my [ carefully antifouled ] hull, they are completely ignoring the huge amount of fanworm adhering to the marina piers right next to all our boats!

If we have to clean up, then surely the marina should get issued with the same notice and have to "de-pest" their own b....y piers, which is where any infestation on my boat comes from in the first place.

I'd love to find a way to  get this to happen, but haven't thought of a good solution yet -- any ideas?

• Upvote 4

Agreed. Its not right that the council structures can be covered in mature fouling, propagating it onto our boats...

For this reason, when approached by council to allow access to the GH Village marina for inspections, access was denied. The village marina is private....

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

Agreed. Its not right that the council structures can be covered in mature fouling, propagating it onto our boats...

For this reason, when approached by council to allow access to the GH Village marina for inspections, access was denied. The village marina is private....

Bio security would over rule private marina if issued by MPI??

Moving fouled boats only applies if you then clean the  hull in the new location. Marine fouling stays put on the hull.

Sure, the bloody things reproduce, but they do it by laying eggs in the water, so on your hull or the marina, it's the same. Clearly I don't pick up organisms when I'm out sailing, so  I get infected from the marina itself. And some marinas have the cheek to say that you cannot clean your hull in the marina. Its" please go elsewhere to do it, and spread the stuff even further"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Its pretty silly when you think about it, the marinas simply could not afford to antifoul their gear. I wouldn't worry about the council inspections except maybe writing a letter informing them that funds could be better spent providing good public cleaning facilities instead of allowing the private sector to monopolise it.  

The issue is that even if they find one small fanworm, say in a thru hull, then that kicks off a whole bio containment issue, requiring a cleaning plant to be submitted, and a bunch of Xtra costs to the owner.

Oh, and the cleaning in water bit - broken fan worms heal, even the parts regrow into whole ones! It is one way they can propagate. 

If you keep your boat clean, and wipe off the slime every 3/4 months, antifoul every year (or 2 in some places) then your doing all you practically can...

21 hours ago, alibaba said:

If we have to clean up, then surely the marina should get issued with the same notice and have to "de-pest" their own b....y piers, which is where any infestation on my boat comes from in the first place.

Or maybe the berth holders/renters should be responsible for cleaning their own berths? A bit like mowing your own berm...

I moved a boat from Ak to Tga a few years ago. Had a fairly clean hull and was on Okahu Bay mooring. I didnt clean before leaving and brought a fanworm with me. Got picked up by divers doing hull inspections for regional council. I think They do these regularly. 

Difference must be that occasional inspection of marinas in Ak are ineffective as the beasties are everywhere in Ak. The place where diligence is needed is everywhere else. 

The issue is they don't know how to clean them in the water, without causing further propagation.. If you scape them off, one becomes 3 - or more. if you poison them, other species suffer. Its not easy.

• Upvote 1

I find it ironic that they want to ping us the responsible boat owners while ignoring the commercial shipping coming and going with infestations on a hull 50-100 times the size of your average yacht.

And they dump ballast water spreading the crap far faster than we could ever do.

Not helped by the commercial pressures applied by commercial operators to continue to operate in council environments.

I'm thinking it would be better to target the commercial end users; lets face it there are tens of  thousands of them so paying cents on the dollar wouldn't be a big deal.

The average boatie on the other hand seems fair target  the council seeks to shift the load to us, while taking away options for haul outs amongst other things and now they want inspect suspect hulls, they could start with all of the obviously neglected weed farms scattered around the mooring fields.

Of course they know there's no money at the end of that option.

Its B.S.  there needs to be some major pushback.

• Upvote 2

I would like someone to tell us what they are hoping to achieve and how. One adult female Fanworm produces 30,000 eggs once or twice a year.  And they had millions of years of evolution to learn how to spread before boats were invented. 

Thus IMHO they're going to end up anywhere they can survive irrespective of what we do.

Meanwhile they're all gone from our river after ther rains. Seems they don't like fresh/brackish water. Same reason Marsden cove is full of Fanworm and none at the town basin.

• Upvote 2

I believe that AHB gave up on attempting to contain MFW (mediteranian fan worm) in 2010, It is a filter feeder, basically cleans the water, sure it will take over from the "native" fanworm just like the pacific oyster did to the "native" oyster. apart from this being a guaranteed thing to happen what is the downside?? 

Antifouling paint has been dumbed down to the extent that it is almost a waste of time to apply it against any and all marine animals / fanworms / crustaceans. The square barnacle, as I have recently found is doing extremely well in the Kaipara along with the tiny date mussel, and doesn't seem to be affected by the brackish water from Gabrielle. Oh and the Kaipara snapper fillets are currently nice and pink. Local folk law says the white flesh snapper fillets as shown in the news are most likely from snapper that have recently spawned.

We must realise there is an industry now set up to do these inspections, apparently ( according to NRC staff ) it is funded by MPI. When you look at the equipment, diving  personal and recording staff on each boat there wouldn't be much change out of a million. Could end up as bad as being in redcone land.