Marina Hulll Inspections

On 4/04/2023 at 5:42 PM, Steve Pope said:

I believe that AHB gave up on attempting to contain MFW (mediteranian fan worm) in 2010, It is a filter feeder, basically cleans the water, sure it will take over from the "native" fanworm just like the pacific oyster did to the "native" oyster. apart from this being a guaranteed thing to happen what is the downside?? 

Antifouling paint has been dumbed down to the extent that it is almost a waste of time to apply it against any and all marine animals / fanworms / crustaceans. The square barnacle, as I have recently found is doing extremely well in the Kaipara along with the tiny date mussel, and doesn't seem to be affected by the brackish water from Gabrielle. Oh and the Kaipara snapper fillets are currently nice and pink. Local folk law says the white flesh snapper fillets as shown in the news are most likely from snapper that have recently spawned.

On the subject of antifoul . I spent a good deal time last week down a rabbit hole of active ingredients , legal and illegal . There are several off the shelf pharmaceuticals you could conceivably add to your paint to deter/kill inverterbrates . Most , if not all the ones worth considering bio-accumulate so probably won’t be for sale in antifoul . The most promising one is the main ingredient of “Selektope” . Hempel and chugoku are two Antifoul brands that have Selektope paints available but not in NZ . The Hempel distributor here has not replied to my email asking when and if Selektope antifouls will be available in NZ . 

If you were in a certain profession you could easily get hold of the active ingredient and only a tiny amount is needed , just a couple of mils per litre . It’s fairly safe stuff but extremely toxic to aquatic invertebrates but apparently doesn’t bio accumulate . Marine pests NZ have mentioned it on their website so maybe we will see Selektope containing paints here sometime in the future .

https://www.marinepests.nz/news/innovators-round-up-technology-making-biofouling-management-easier

Lyttelton community acts to stop spread of huge sea worms

Local communities around Christchurch’s port are calling for urgent action to slow the spread of huge sea worms. “I can tell you now it’s catastrophic.

He described the limited cleaning infrastructure currently offered for boats in Lyttelton as “abysmal”. It was especially difficult for recreational vessels larger than 10 tonnes because the club’s cleaning cradle could not hold them.

Biosecurity New Zealand director of readiness and response John Walsh said the worms had been eradicated from other parts of the motu. “Tutukaka Marina in Northland, for example, we’ve had no detections there in five years after a local elimination effort and we think it has gone,” he said. “Picton and Waikawa Marinas in the Marlborough Sounds, we’ve had good cracks at it there... and have not been able to find any there for two years.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/lyttelton-community-acts-to-stop-spread-of-huge-sea-worms/IXQLWP7GPNFD3DJ637I6DE76KA/

50 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Local communities around Christchurch’s port are calling for urgent action to slow the spread of huge sea worms. “I can tell you now it’s catastrophic.

He described the limited cleaning infrastructure currently offered for boats in Lyttelton as “abysmal”. It was especially difficult for recreational vessels larger than 10 tonnes because the club’s cleaning cradle could not hold them.

Biosecurity New Zealand director of readiness and response John Walsh said the worms had been eradicated from other parts of the motu. “Tutukaka Marina in Northland, for example, we’ve had no detections there in five years after a local elimination effort and we think it has gone,” he said. “Picton and Waikawa Marinas in the Marlborough Sounds, we’ve had good cracks at it there... and have not been able to find any there for two years.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/lyttelton-community-acts-to-stop-spread-of-huge-sea-worms/IXQLWP7GPNFD3DJ637I6DE76KA/

I think that the "huge sea worms!!) are gone from Toot has to be bullshit!  Marsden Marina, Parua bay, in fact all of Whangarei Harbour as far up as Limestone Island has them. B.o.I has them. Auckland Harbour board gave up on doing anything about them in 2010 + - . They are here to stay, whether we like it or not! There is a "native" version that they are afraid will be taken over by them. But the main concern is commercial, the mussell and Oyster farms. They are a filter feeder, they clean the water. There is now a small (but expensive) industry diving and recording dirty boat bottoms financed by MPI. You have a fan worm you are not allowed to move except for slipping, cleaning and re-antifouling.

2 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Oh crap , must’ve been the Auckland and Whangarei boats that went to watch sail GP what spread it there (purple font) 

Laughable reporting supporting a lucrative diving business, the BOI is full of it as are Auckland Marinas-it doesnt jump on to properly antifouled hulls. To really get rid of it you need to flush your marina with fresh water loaded with toxins as we do regularly at Wairau Cove.😏

• Haha 1

I just received an (unsolicited) email from www.marinepests.nz.  

Their website says:  Clean Below? Good to Go is an education campaign designed to help raise awareness of the role biofouling plays in the spread of marine pests.

It looks like a collaboration of regional councils in the upper north island, DOC and Biosecurity NZ.

The newsletter says that with Pier21 and The Landing closing getting a booking with Tauranga Bridge Marina over winter is a good option.   Wow - if every boat in Auckland has to come down to Tauranga we'll need another hardstand.  

1 hour ago, Addem said:

I just received an (unsolicited) email from www.marinepests.nz.  

Their website says:  Clean Below? Good to Go is an education campaign designed to help raise awareness of the role biofouling plays in the spread of marine pests.

It looks like a collaboration of regional councils in the upper north island, DOC and Biosecurity NZ.

The newsletter says that with Pier21 and The Landing closing getting a booking with Tauranga Bridge Marina over winter is a good option.   Wow - if every boat in Auckland has to come down to Tauranga we'll need another hardstand.  

I would not be surprised, This is now an industry funded by MPI and the Regional Councils. My short experience at a meeting at the Whangarei NRC office to discuss Fan Worn and other non native invaders was mostly about who is responsible for the eradication and the best way to fund this. Largely, how much of the cost would water users (us) be prepared to pay. None of the people running the meeting (nice as they were) had a yacht / boat had any actual experience of maintaining a vessel, nothing about the uselessness of currently dumbed down properties of antifouling paints. They seemed to not realise that many of the haul out facilities no longer exist, and seemed unaware of the loss of scrubbing poles. I left them with a page or two of questions about how they thought all their aims were going to be achieved and some fundamental questions re currents, tides the huge amount of spores from just 1 Fan Worm, I was assured my questions would be answered, although not immediately. as the months go by --------------

• Upvote 1
On 26/04/2023 at 11:41 AM, waikiore said:

To really get rid of it you need to flush your marina with fresh water

Apparently the Auckland floods killed much of it off...

I heard, that after jumping through hoops to get the necessary approvals to extract some living fan-worm to display at the boat show, the divers could not find any in Westhaven or the Viaduct.

Maybe a vicious rumor started by a non-compliant boatie ;-)

• Haha 1

Has anyone else received an email from MarinePests.nz (Good to Go, clean below?)?  Apparently they are running seminars on this.  I'm not sure I like the sound of the first topic - This might be something Crewers need to be aware of and involved in.  I'm not sure how come I am on their mail list and am interested to know how wide this goes (see my earlier post).

You warmly are invited to the Marine Biosecurity Seminar Series organised by the Top of the North Marine Biosecurity Partnership and the Top of the South Marine Biosecurity Partnership. 

Who should pay for marine biosecurity?  

10am Wednesday 24 May
From visiting ships to cruising yachts and even kayaks, no boat is immune to marine pest infestations.  But when it comes to preventing the spread of pests domestically, local boat owners shoulder the burden of checking, cleaning and maintaining their vessels. However, we all benefit from marine pest management and the environmental protection it brings. How should marine biosecurity be funded and what role do the beneficiaries and exacerbators of marine biosecurity effectively play in the big picture? 

Thank you to our panelists from: Aquaculture NZ, Kelly Tarlton Marine Wildlife Trust, Yachting New Zealand, Northland Regional Council and the NZ Marina Operators Association. 

Filling gaps in our clean hull framework 

10am Wednesday 31 May
More infrastructure is one part of the solution for boat operators needing maintenance options to maintain great hull hygiene, but there are also other solutions – from new-look facilities, to new and emerging antifoul coating products and antifoul alternatives to solutions for underwater structures, and the role of education in creating a new ‘hull hygiene’ mindset mindset. We hear from a range of experts about their experience, their wins, and their ideas for the future.

Thanks to panelists from: Half Moon Bay Marina and Boatyard, Nelson Marina, Cawthron Institute, Heron Construction, Marine Protection Solutions, Carbotech and the Environmental Protection Authority. 

Marine biosecurity tools - information and tools for council staff 

10am Wednesday 7 June
Surveillance, incursion response, regulations and education: how are the regions working to prevent the spread of marine pests and what is most effective? Hear from experienced practitioners leading the way in this field in the North and South Islands.

Thanks to speakers from: Northland Regional Council, Marlborough District Council and Bay of Plenty Regional Council and the Top of the South Marine Biosecurity Partnership and the Top of the North Marine Biosecurity Partnership. 

Hi Addem, I look after this newsletter. I also have a long history going back around 20 years with Crew.org.nz (I founded it!) although I'm doing less (actually, zero) sailing these days (kids, work) and just drop in sometimes to see what's up. Firstly, the 'Clean Below?' newsletter goes widely to a list of subscribers. I promise you are only on there because you have signed up, or someone has signed you up. Maybe at a boat show?  You can definitely unsubscribe at any time - just use the link on the bottom of the email or reply to the email and we'll sort it for you. If anyone reading this would like to get the newsletters, just sign up on the website www.marinepests.nz/news 

We hope that many of you 'Crew.org.nz-ers' will come along to the webinars. Marine biosecurity is a complex field with a huge range of considerations and TON/TOS have arranged these webinars to open up discussion, build understanding on both sides, and continuously to reflect this in its stories and newsletters.. 

Zoe 

• Like 1

Thanks Zoe. 

That's interesting that you launched Crew?  I enjoy the forum. 

My query is to find out who else on Crew reveive the newsletter and will be at the webinar. It's going to be important as the Hoi polloj need to be given a voice. So far it seems that of all the crewers I might be the only one getting it. 

I certainly don't want to unsubscribe as we need to know what is happening in this sphere.

I did, it was before Facebook and Twitter etc were popular and was definitely a bit ahead of its time back then! 

I am glad you don't want to unsubscribe - I obviously got the wrong end of the stick.

Thank you for drawing attention to the webinar - it will be great to see more boat owners there (and subscribed to the newsletter). It'll be recorded too. 

• Like 1