Marina Hulll Inspections

Im sorry Zoe but Id be very confident that none of the recreational boats in Nz were responsible for bringing Fan Worm or calupera to NZ. And won't bring the sea star. The focus has to be on international shipping. 

I agree that we need to take responsibility to stop spread now that it is here but there needs to as much effort in allowing effective control by mandating appropriate antifouls. The current ones aren't really up to it. 

• Upvote 4

Not Delaware but relevant . Eradication techniques are further down the page . https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/west-coast/habitat-conservation/caulerpa-species-west-coast

Seems quite involved but surely no more expensive than holding  meetings , hiring consultants or underwater companies to check boats . 

100% they know the information above that took me 2 minutes to find and any other methods of eradication , so why feck around and find out ? 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Addem said:

Im sorry Zoe but Id be very confident that none of the recreational boats in Nz were responsible for bringing Fan Worm or calupera to NZ. And won't bring the sea star. The focus has to be on international shipping. 

I agree that we need to take responsibility to stop spread now that it is here but there needs to as much effort in allowing effective control by mandating appropriate antifouls. The current ones aren't really up to it. 

There is a huge focus on international shipping - NZ has led the way on this so much so that other countries have followed suit. But there is also a focus on domestic boats because while the international boats might bring them here, it's the domestic boats that carry them around. 

https://www.marinepests.nz/our-defence-system

It's outside my sphere of knowledge but Biosecurity NZ produce an interesting newsletter about this work that you might be interested in:

54331?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vess

• Upvote 1

Here is an article about fan worm. https://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/2292/58141/Brand-2022-thesis.pdf?sequence=4

When spawning events happen, the tides will move it considerable distances up and down the coast. Local boats are IMO only ever going to be a minuscule part of this issue.  Are there really none at the Poor Knights? I'd be surprised, they are everywhere else along the northland coast.... 

• Upvote 2

Re the Poor Knights, it wouldn't surprise me that, as it is a very healthy natural ecosystem there, fanworm can't get established there because of the natural competition.

Fanworm only appears to do well in barren areas, like marinas. I've seen the odd one around on rocky shorelines. But that was before the wettest summer on record. Fascinating how all this fresh water kills them.

The best and most reliable way of these organisms historically have moved around the world is the tides, currents etc. it is the way they have always spread, up to the arrival of our consumer society in the 1970 / 80's ( which is a 100% commercially orientated, world trade agreements) Why is Galaxy Feta sold as a Fonterra product when it is actually a product made in Denmark? If you buy bacon look at the print that shows where it has come from, up to 20 different countries, none of which would meet the stringent rules that our Pork producers now have to conform to to. In the next few years we won't have any piggeries in NZ. We sell our high quality coal overseas, then we purchase the lowest, cheapest quality from Indonesia to produce electricity. The problem is US, you and me!!

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, K4309 said:

Re the Poor Knights, it wouldn't surprise me that, as it is a very healthy natural ecosystem there, fanworm can't get established there because of the natural competition.

Fanworm only appears to do well in barren areas, like marinas. I've seen the odd one around on rocky shorelines. But that was before the wettest summer on record. Fascinating how all this fresh water kills them.

I spent 3 years on the water in Greece, Turkey, Italy, France, Tunisia etc. back in the 1970's I never knowingly came across a fan worm. There were certainly some very barren areas, the odd fish, octopus, pelagic fish passing through but no fan worms.

57 minutes ago, Guest said:

I agree with measures on international shipping, and should be more rigorous,  but that domestic boat movement is the prime propagation system once the pests are here is not logical. 
Don’t mind if they penalise pest farms on moorings, along with marinas and any man made structures .

Rather than pass on cost, you should be given the option of diy eradication under prescribed method say in your birth.

To sail with weed, fan worms, barnacles on the hull is the last thing any sailor wants. As we all know a clean hull is a "faster" hull. That antifoul coatings have been dumbed down to the point of almost being useless, in fact the manufacturers could probably be charged with false advertising, of course the price of it is as high as ever. The Authorities want us to conform to "their" requirements, in my experience very few of them have any knowledge of sailing, and say it is their way or the highway.

• Upvote 1

Given that the Regional councils charge us for using "their" waters (mooring fees, beacons, and can even stipulate the contractors you must use for mooring inspections perhaps we should be sending them a bill for not keeping "their" waters free of unwanted organisms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Given that the Regional councils charge us for using "their" waters (mooring fees, beacons, and can even stipulate the contractors you must use for mooring inspections perhaps we should be sending them a bill for not keeping "their" waters free of unwanted organisms.

and who pays the Regional Council bills? Yep it's YOU... so just send yourself a bill and cut out all the bureaucracy and ticket clipping on the way through and save yourself a fortune!

47 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Sigh.

Moving dangerously close to a political argument here folks.

Back on topic please.

*Removes moderator hat*🥳🥳

Didn't consider regional councils as 'politics" and Yes Cameron it is "we" who pay, generally without any say, control, or consideration as to how the spend of the tax / rates take is going to bite us on the Bum!

Sounds straightforward ….PVC tarps , chlorine , some good underwater operators and approval from wherever it needs to come from and soon not next year when it will cost 100s instead of 10s of milliwongas 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250218150_Eradication_of_the_invasive_seaweed_Caulerpa_taxifolia_by_chlorine_bleach#:~:text=Based on these results%2C chlorine,to reach stolons and rhizoids.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

Sounds straightforward ….PVC tarps , chlorine , some good underwater operators and approval from wherever it needs to come from and soon not next year when it will cost 100s instead of 10s of milliwongas 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250218150_Eradication_of_the_invasive_seaweed_Caulerpa_taxifolia_by_chlorine_bleach#:~:text=Based on these results%2C chlorine,to reach stolons and rhizoids.

Given that it appears that chlorine is considered for eradication of unwanted sea flora,  "they" must realise that  if used it will kill all the things that TBT apparently used to kill so well, that we are now no longer allowed to use it?

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Given that it appears that chlorine is considered for eradication of unwanted sea flora,  "they" must realise that  if used it will kill all the things that TBT apparently used to kill so well, that we are now no longer allowed to use it?

Quite true . You are probably the most qualified person on the forum regarding aquatic  flora and fauna , do you think Caulerpa is or could be a problem ? 

Goose Barnacles on one of the single handed round the world Yachts, in Tasmania, I think.  Thet all left France (Brittany) with clean newly antifouled hulls. The ones (who have made it non stop) had to dive and scrub at sae.

Goose Barnacles.png

• Like 1
Just now, Steve Pope said:

Goose Barnacles on one of the single handed round the world Yachts, in Tasmania, I think.  Thet all left France (Brittany) with clean newly antifouled hulls. The ones (who have made it non stop) had to dive and scrub at sae.

Goose Barnacles.png

I think they are the same as the ones on the log.