A GREAT STRATEGY for buying a boat or a WASTE of EFFORT?

On 13/04/2023 at 7:31 AM, Zozza said:

And here I am - damn fool - about to embark on doing up a old 28 footer!  But I have learnt some DIY skills....the hard way.  Don't follow in my footsteps, unless you like being poor :-)😉

There's no question in my mind that its cheaper to buy the well equipped and maintained vessel although it can take a while to find one, but there are advantages to a do-up project.

1  At the end of it you will know the boat inside out and all its systems, benefits there if something goes wrong and you might have more confidence in its reliability.

2 You can customize  the little things to your requirements.

3 If you are a creative person there is a satisfaction in the process, almost therapeutic at times (did I just say that !) 

4 The cost is spread over time.

5. If its a particular design you want and you cant find an example that meets your needs then a restomod might be the only option.

In pure financial terms it does not stack up to buy a rundown boat but you can't reduce everything in life to dollars and cents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Frank said:

There's no question in my mind that its cheaper to buy the well equipped and maintained vessel although it can take a while to find one, but there are advantages to a do-up project.

1  At the end of it you will know the boat inside out and all its systems, benefits there if something goes wrong and you might have more confidence in its reliability.

2 You can customize  the little things to your requirements.

3 If you are a creative person there is a satisfaction in the process, almost therapeutic at times (did I just say that !) 

4 The cost is spread over time.

5. If its a particular design you want and you cant find an example that meets your needs then a restomod might be the only option.

In pure financial terms it does not stack up to buy a rundown boat but you can't reduce everything in life to dollars and cents.

Too right, Frank....and you get the satisfaction of singing 'I Did It My Way' like your namesake when the project is done!  
This is my 3rd boat (my 28 footer), and I want to indeed do all those little things you mention, that is not possible if I leave the interior as it is.  Plus, unlike some people, I can't live with a boat that when I open the locker I see unsightly paint lifting off with patches of bare gelcoat.
For inspiration, check this out:  

• Like 2