New Trans Tasman event

Awesome event. Shithouse organisers. 

All boats should, as a condition of entry, have to stay in the water for 8 weeks prior to start without being hauled and /or cleaned in any fashion.

Even if I could I would not enter or support the organiser by entering.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Romany said:

Awesome event. Shithouse organisers. 

All boats should, as a condition of entry, have to stay in the water for 8 weeks prior to start without being hauled and /or cleaned in any fashion.

Even if I could I would not enter or support the organiser by entering.

What's your justification for this?

Sound like ther'e a cockup. 

The webpage states:

Sydney to Auckland Ocean Race 2023

The Race of a Lifetime

Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (RPAYC) together with the Royal Akarana Yacht Club (RAYC) invite competitors to participate in the Sydney to Auckland Ocean Race 2023. 

While NOR states:

The Organising Authority (OA) is The Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (RPAYC) in association with the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS).

oh. I might be wrong too - I remember the squadron pausing it earlier for the 150th stuff before Covid stuffed us all. I didn't look again.

If its RAYC, I agree with you Romany!

Putting aside my negativity, I just realised its a Sydney to Akld race ( yes I know. DER. Its all in the leading lines!) and it occured to me how much more awesome would it be if it was a 2 legged event with boats leaving both side's at the same time (i.e doubling the tasman) 2 weeks to re-gather/repair or withdraw and off we go again).

Winner to be determined on total elapsed time.

My ramblings aside, the sad fact is that this sort of event probably is now (& may well have been for years) the domain of semi-pro or professional teams.

Its good to see something new happening.

It appears that Akarana have pinched this one off the Squadron, I guess they need some yacht racing with their proud history in tatters after this hardstand debacle , come on the RNZYS welcome the emmies back and consign Akkers to the history books.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This race thread is very strange...I came for a look still have know idea what its all about

But way back there was the Sydney to Taranaki Two handed in the mid eighties ...that got hit by Cyclone Bola   and was a feeder for the Singlehanded Taranaki to Mooloolahba...

Then later there was the Sydney to Auckland....

NZd is a great travel destination for any sailors but maybe Im barking up the wrong tree   that know one can articulate any emotive story about Doing the Ditch and the Cruising Grounds that await.     I was a subscription holder of NZ Boating from the eightys till now...there were so many articles of amazement in every issue  of history   building sailing motoring fishing travelling and people and places and the food and wine...I still have favourite past reads that I go to and to show friends or console the self before sleep....Even the organisers are lost getting an enthusiastic description of Pittwater and Sydney   from the Hawkesbury [and the best Oysters] and any cruising grounds to the north of Syd like Port Stephens and the inland Wineries of the Hunter Valley   

years ago I would for a morning feed to a place that did simple herbed garlic spiced bread hot  you could smell it four blocks away....when they put in the exhaust fan the french cook owner got involved ...he called it his advertising appetiser... there was a connection direct from the huge bread oven to the stack that was 10ft higher than the surrounding buildings  he would sell 5 - 8 thousand french sticks on a weekend and that was an appetiser ,.. that restaurant and kitchen had 12 -17 people flat out doing meals on a weekend   reminds me travelling on a bike between Taranaki and Wellington  and half an hour before arriving in a town on a river I could smell whitebait cooking  and I knew what it was   by the time I got to town I was a salivating wreck but very happy to sit down and eat ... still a favourite meal

Maybe I'll get my scissors and cut out my favourite articles from NZ Boating and send them to Race Organisers

• Haha 2