Sinking near Rakino

Three hospitalised after yacht stranding near Rakino Island

Three men were hospitalised last night after their yacht came off its moorings and ran aground on South Island near Rakino Island in the Hauraki Gulf.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/04/10/three-hospitalised-after-yacht-stranding-near-rakino-island/

I note that this occurred around the same time as the tornado hit Howick

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

Nowcasting at Tiritiri Matangi was reporting 45 knots northerly around that time so I'd expect that to be the same at Rakino.

We were in Islington Bay, nowcasting had Tiri gusting 55 and we had 40 plus in the anchorage. Went to Rakino this morning and saw the yacht on South Islet, looked pretty concerning with the dinghy still attached.

IMG_3624.thumb.JPEG.12281640db26906503855655afc92be1.JPEGIMG_3629.thumb.JPEG.7730055476405891d58878eccb206943.JPEGIMG_3627.thumb.JPEG.b4ace603b0e411a8ab4e3ff621d1a22d.JPEGIMG_3626.thumb.JPEG.71e34413aa684731946469edb1b5e6e5.JPEG

8 hours ago, motorb said:

Nowcasting at Tiritiri Matangi was reporting 45 knots northerly around that time so I'd expect that to be the same at Rakino.

Pla eeeese ! the Tornado hit Dannemora we don't get Tornados in Howick, wrong area code :-)

9 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Three hospitalised after yacht stranding near Rakino Island

Three men were hospitalised last night after their yacht came off its moorings and ran aground on South Island near Rakino Island in the Hauraki Gulf.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/04/10/three-hospitalised-after-yacht-stranding-near-rakino-island/

I presume it dragged its anchor or did it truly come off a Mooring ?, there is only a few in Home bay to the north ?

17 hours ago, Frank said:

Pla eeeese ! the Tornado hit Dannemora we don't get Tornados in Howick, wrong area code :-)

Really??? I recall a Tornado hitting Howick before...

https://hwe.niwa.co.nz/event/December_1987_Auckland_Tornado

https://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/collections/3000/objects/1089256/destruction-of-classrooms-at-howick-district-high-school-by-a-tornado-destruction-of-classrooms-at-

Hi all, from the skipper. Yacht was at secure anchor in Pohutukawa Bay, Rakino when struck by extreme weather event at around 2040hrs 9/4. Dragged rapidly onto South Island in very high winds and sea.  Huge shout out to Rescue Services - Maritime Coordination Centre, Auckland Coastguard Maritime Unit and especially Westpac Rescue Helicopter crew who winched crew to safety in extreme conditions. All crew shell-shocked by severity of event but now fully recovered. Mourning loss of a fantastic yacht. Salvage mid week. Thank you to all who have sent support 

• Upvote 20

Strong Persuader is a Senior 10. Did the SSANZ series last year. Nice yacht. Hope it is salvageable.

I thought I saw Psyche in Church bay on Sunday morning, and Bad Kitty down near Rocky bay in the evening.

On 11/04/2023 at 10:16 PM, Strong Persuader said:

Yacht was at secure anchor in Pohutukawa Bay, Rakino when struck by extreme weather event at around 2040hrs 9/4. Dragged rapidly onto South Island in very high winds and sea.

Oh wow good to have the clarification that the vessel was at anchor, rather than a mooring. I had suspected the usual poor reporting had got that detail wrong....

Feeling a bit more justified in leaving our anchor at Station Bay and heading back to the marina before the winds picked up that afternoon.