Rocna is # 1 ??

I did a search on the forums and couldn't find what I was after so apologies in advance if this topic has been done to death already.

So we are planning to cruise Fiji and vanuatu  from May and have been considering the anchor situation.  Our boat came with a 25 kg Delta daily use anchor and four spares ie a massive fishermans pick, A Bruce , A Fortress  (Danforth style) and a genuine large Danforth. The Fortress and the Fishermans pick can be disassembled for stowage.

We are thinking of

1. Removing the Fortress,  fisherman's pick and standard Danforth.

2. Substituting a 25 kg Rocna as the daily use anchor.

3. Keeping the Bruce and the existing 25 kg Delta as backups. 

This would simplify the mix and a Study of all the different Tests (A Meta analysis ?) showed that the Rocna was supreme for holding power I think the Delta was very close. The study pointed out that  some of the various tests were not well designed and of course I understand there are always lots of variables (we have over 70 metres of chain  BTW) 

So I would appreciate any feedback on this approach particularly in the context of cruising in fiji

chrs

We had a Rocna, great anchor, changed to a Sarca Excel because they don't have a roll bar & that works better for our boat. At least as good as the Rocna, maybe better?

There's a few high holding power designs around now, IMHO they make the old designs like plough's etc. totally redundant. You'd never go back.

I'd track down Grant at Chains, Ropes & Anchors, and have a chat. You'll get exactly what you need without any snake oil.

Also the 70 mtrs of chain is good for the islands, even if your anchor is awesome & doesn't need that much chain, as it keeps your rope warp away from any stray coral & bommies if you are swing around up there. 

Rocna, Excel, Manson Supreme are all excellent anchors, some ex Rocna users, now Excel users have nothing but praise for them, no roll bar, lighter for the same holding. But it is a bit like lap times in a car race, the fastest lap is perhaps 2x1000th of a second faster! All are good! Definitely recommend good Quality chain, I did it with 55m of 10mm on a Rocna, but at times would have been happy with more chain. Keep your back up anchors and perhaps a lighter kedge with maybe at least 10m of lighter chain before the rope? Chains ropes and Anchors are the go to, as Bad Kitty says. Oh and if you choose to use a swivel put 2 or 3 links on the anchor before joining the swivel,, takes away any chance of bending / breaking the swivel. which can happen if joined directly to the anchor.

55 minutes ago, Bad Kitty said:

We had a Rocna, great anchor, changed to a Sarca Excel because they don't have a roll bar & that works better for our boat. At least as good as the Rocna, maybe better?

There's a few high holding power designs around now, IMHO they make the old designs like plough's etc. totally redundant. You'd never go back.

I'd track down Grant at Chains, Ropes & Anchors, and have a chat. You'll get exactly what you need without any snake oil.

Agreed !

Rocna was number 1 about 10 years ago. Sarca Excel is now number 1. 

See this thread, especially the tests by former crew member Fish in Arkles Bay.

Excel resets quicker than other anchors, and because it is convex comes up with less mud on it.