Pauhia ferry crash

Ferry not at fault - hit broadsides by a fast travelling motor boat. One account has it having two 300HP outboards (while also saying it was a jet boat!). Ferry skipper seriously injured 

6 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

That photo looks terrible.  I loved riding that ferry.  Has the offender been identified? 

Yes, there are photos of him on Social Media with a munted bow railing and blue paint scratches, but standing by the scene.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

That photo looks terrible.  I loved riding that ferry.  Has the offender been identified? 

Can't imagine there's any hiding from this one.

• Upvote 1

That ferry is the Tauranga-Mount ferry that I used to board with my bicycle in the school hols back in the 70s.

It is run by an old guy who does it all himself - no crew.

Skipper flown to Middlemore hospital.

Condolences to his Family.

Been on that boat many a time, and only this Bay Week stood and watched him dock, tie up, unload, load and leave with no assistance. Marvel to watch such well ingrained skill.

Let the slow wheels of justice begin to turn I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Oh my god..he has passed away... 

Is it too early to ask how the hell can some f__king idiot in a power boat could not see the Ferry.

Edit:  are we 100% sure he has passed?  I just listened to a news report on Radio NZ and they are saying he is "critically injured" but they did not say he had passed?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Zozza said:

Oh my god..he has passed away... 

Is it too early to ask how the hell can some f__king idiot in a power boat could not see the Ferry.

Edit:  are we 100% sure he has passed?  I just listened to a news report on Radio NZ and they are saying he is "critically injured" but they did not say he had passed?

I do apologise as I may have been given bad info, my connection to the situation is strong but it appears an error has been made...maybe.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately a lot of the early reports from shocked people not entirely accurate , it was a 30 odd foot Boston Whaler with outboards not a jet boat, the ferry was left to sink where anchored after four hours no one knows why the coast guard who were there did not tow her a short distance to the shallows. The parasail guys sped the skipper in to ambulance at Paihia -he had two doctors on board. The white (happy) ferry picked up the passengers from the Blue Ferry, it sounds like no one was at the helm of the speed boat, very sad for the ferry skipper.

I dont have an issue with licencing if it reduces the number of dickheads out there on the water, but regrettably regimes like this dont guarantee anything.

I'm about to introduce my 6y.old boy to the sea, and to be frank it scares me that incidences of dangerous behavour seem to be increasing.  I've never been one to throw sh*t at other vessels or confront other boaties at anchor, when they do dumb things but with precious ' cargo' on board,  i can see it happening.