Pauhia ferry crash

On 14/07/2023 at 7:14 AM, Bradz said:

Not quite the case. I think you will find that the unionised NZ Bus drivers (Auckland) want the new rate and retain all of the original terms associated with previous agreements. I for one can't remember the last time I was paid double time to work on the weekend, or at night, definiately have never been paid $60/h to do so.

It's impossible to comment on your situation since we don't know any detail.

As an HR person in a 24/7 365 business, I can tell you the overtime and penal rates are a straight market exercise.  It's hard to get people to work those hours or on public holidays, so you pay more to incentivise it.

No rocket science here, just supply and demand.

• Upvote 2
On 15/07/2023 at 7:08 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

It's impossible to comment on your situation since we don't know any detail.

As an HR person in a 24/7 365 business, I can tell you the overtime and penal rates are a straight market exercise.  It's hard to get people to work those hours or on public holidays, so you pay more to incentivise it.

No rocket science here, just supply and demand.

Completely concur. Overtime and penalty rates in a 24-hour sector reflect the fundamentals of supply and demand. In order to maintain a motivated workforce, the increased pay makes up for the demanding hours and vacations. The simple dynamics of the market.

www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/news/2023/november/prosecution-follows-april-collision-between-power-boat-and-ferry-near-russell/

Prosecution follows April collision between power boat and ferry near Russell

30 November 2023

Following a collision between a twin-engine recreational power boat and the ferry, Waitere, in Russell earlier this year, Maritime NZ has charged the power boat’s skipper.

The collision occurred at about midday on 13 April 2023, when Waitere (also known as the Blue Ferry ) was travelling from Russell to Paihia.

Maritime NZ’s Deputy Chief Executive Regulatory Operations, Deb Despard, says Maritime NZ personnel undertook a thorough investigation in response to this incident.

"Investigators carried out interviews, examined the scene, reviewed documents and gathered other relevant evidence connected to the incident," she says.

The ferry’s skipper was severely injured, some of the passengers suffered lesser injuries and the ferry was badly damaged. It sunk a few hours after the collision. There was some damage to the power boat, but no one on board it at the time was injured.

Ms Despard says one charge has been filed in the Auckland District Court against the skipper of the power boat. The charge has been filed under section 65 of the Maritime Transport Act 1994.

As the matter is now before the Court, Maritime NZ cannot make further comment.

Editors’ notes:

• Section 65 of the Maritime Transport Act makes it an offence to operate a vessel in a manner causing unnecessary danger or risk to any other person or property.
  • Maximum penalties the Court can impose against an individual are a fine of up to $10,000 or a prison term of up to one year.
  • Maritime NZ will not be releasing documents while the matter is before the Court. Some documents might be available from the Court on application in accordance with the District Court (Access to Court Documents) Rules 2017. 
Follow us News feed

Call the MNZ media line

On 8/07/2023 at 9:02 PM, CarpeDiem said:

No there isn't.

The evidence clearly shows that the public don't want there tax money spent on witch hunts.  The public expect that companies follow the law. The public expects that companies have plans and systems in place. 

In these cases these companies did not consult with GNS and did not provide adaquate warning to their customers of the risks.

We don't need to spend millions checking companies are doing the right thing when we're already spending millions dealing with the incidents. What we need is for businesses to start following the exceptionally clear, we'll documented law and stop cutting corners so that the incidents stop.

I don't want my tax money spent making sure a company has the appropriate safety measures in place. I want the company directors to be spending their own money, paying the same outfit that Worksafe would pay, to ensure that they are compliant.

That's the outcome I would like to see. 

Mmmmm, I can relate to the sentiments but I cant see human nature changing anytime soon. :-(