Best Family Cruisers for 30k

Hi needing some advice on what type of Yacht to be looking for.
Waiting something capable of reaching the barrier safely with kids aboard.

Weekend cruising ideally 30ft plus. I’ve looked at an H28 was told they are very slow. 
 Chico 30 (full of rot).
Any advice appreciated 

• Upvote 1

Not sure the carpenter 29 finished the rni. If you're thinking of halo I think it pulled out due to the crew having to go and deal with the effects of the chc earthquake. 

But that boat above does look good. My advice would be look for a 30ish foot fiberglass cruiser racer built in nz in the 80s. Carpenter, lidguard, farr 9.2, y88 etc. Be open to any of these, and buy the best looked after one with the best engine/sails/gear/electronics etc.

Chico and h28 you mention are earlier designs and don't have the performance or space of the above.

3 hours ago, raz88 said:

Not sure the carpenter 29 finished the rni. If you're thinking of halo I think it pulled out due to the crew having to go and deal with the effects of the chc earthquake. 

But that boat above does look good. My advice would be look for a 30ish foot fiberglass cruiser racer built in nz in the 80s. Carpenter, lidguard, farr 9.2, y88 etc. Be open to any of these, and buy the best looked after one with the best engine/sails/gear/electronics etc.

Chico and h28 you mention are earlier designs and don't have the performance or space of the above.

Rob Carpenter won the RNI in a Carpenter 29 called Stormy Dawn sometime in the mid 80's , I think the crew was Simon Willis who also crewed on a previous occasion when they won it sailing Nukuwai which was a Chris White one off, about 7.5 M LOA I think. This was in the days when they gathered in the Devonport Naval Base dry dock before departure. A Carpenter 29 has also been delivered to New Caledonia, I still own  a Carpenter 29 after 30+ years.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, Clint said:

Hi needing some advice on what type of Yacht to be looking for.
Waiting something capable of reaching the barrier safely with kids aboard.

Weekend cruising ideally 30ft plus. I’ve looked at an H28 was told they are very slow. 
 Chico 30 (full of rot).
Any advice appreciated 

The usual suspects have been noted.  My only advice is about the kids   Getting to Barrier (or indeed anywhere) safely, kids or not, is a skipper thing.

Kids are an entertainment and experience thing when sailing. If they are not entertained or having a learning experience your life is miserable.  Very age dependant obviously.  

Thanks for all the reply's,  yes kids are 7 and 9 but cant wait to get aboard an learn, as well as myself lol. 

Think ill look at the Carpenter 29 as mentioned looks like a nice Yacht. 

18 hours ago, raz88 said:

Halo is a Mull 9.5

Stormy Dawn won a RNI with the designer and his wife

On 18/04/2023 at 8:37 AM, Jon said:

Halo is a Mull 9.5

Stormy Dawn won a RNI with the designer and his wife

Actually we're both wrong, it's a whiting 29. Similar and another design worth considering for the OP.

7 hours ago, Clint said:

Would anyone know why this Yacht pulls to the left only under motor?

Slow speed or fast? Or initial take off? Initial kick to one side is common, due to prop walk…

I assume you do not experience it when sailing... Check the shaft strut is still firmly attached and straight, not bent to one side after a collision with debris maybe.

Also, and very left field.. Shafts are sometimes set up on an angle so they can be removed without removing rudder. The prop rotation is selected so that prop walk counters this... if for some reason the prob has been replaced with opposite rotation to the intended design, then you get a lot of rudder load.

• Like 3

Ok, so what is the boat, what model engine, what gearbox system (saildrive or shaft)?

If it does not happen sailing something is moving. Engine mounts, saildrive mounts broken, shaft alignment if shaft drive. Engine mounts is most likely - they can look ok at rest, but failed. Lift them with a decent lever and make sure the rubber is still vulcanized to the mounts.

5 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Ok, so what is the boat, what model engine, what gearbox system (saildrive or shaft)?

If it does not happen sailing something is moving. Engine mounts, saildrive mounts broken, shaft alignment if shaft drive. Engine mounts is most likely - they can look ok at rest, but failed. Lift them with a decent lever and make sure the rubber is still vulcanized to the mounts.

It’s pulls hard to port at about 4-5 knots 

it’s a carpenter 29 and a sole14 hp not sure on the gear box and is shaft drive.