What is the NZ equivalent of American 1708 fibreglass cloth?

I'm starting to make a list of all the materials I need for my big rebuild (DIY this time, not paying a professional if I can help it).

I think I want the version of 1708 that has chopped strand on one side.

As with a lot of reading I do, I'm reading about an American rebuild of a similar GRP yacht, and of course its all American products...

Cheers

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Have you tried NZ fibreglass in panmure

Have googled thanks harry.  Reasonably close to me..depending on how many road cones.

I have done a bit more investigating on 1708 via the interwebs, and seems that's a reference to 17 Ounces = 481 grams.  NZ seems to sell this biaxial stuff in either 400 or 600 grams, and then either with or without the chopped strand backing.

I plan to use this for the structural areas of the boat.  I am now discovering not all FG cloth is the same.  Steep learning curve, but all good fun.

10 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

1708? That would predate the Civil War.  Look for at something at least made in the 20th century? 

Ps where are you putting her to do the work?  I'm pretty sure I saw you in the Tiri channel a week or two back.

Last time I was in Tiri channel was in January it was gusting 30+ wind against tide and very lumpy.
If you saw my black hulled yacht in Tiri just a couple weeks back, then that would be the new owner sea trialing her.
I've fully accepted 3-4 years hard labour rebuilding my new (but old) boat.

Forgot to answer BP your query about where putting her - the driveway.
Sure to instill interest from noise control and other nosey council types - but until I get shut down, that's where she will be.

• Upvote 1