Pelin caribou short shaft outboard, best HP?

I need to buy an outboard for my new OLD Pelin Caribou 20 trailersailer which has an adjustable outboard mounting bracket.

The last owner had a 9.9hp Johnson but it was left in his garage and got flooded a few months back in the bad weather.

I would ideally prefer to get a short shaft  15hp so I could swap it between the yacht and my 3.3m inflatable.

As I am living in a motorhome I don't want to carry 2 outboards around everywhere.

Can the 20 trailer boat function with a short shaft and will the 40 kg motor greatly impact the sailing performance?

opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS

[Photo]

40kg on the stern may affect performance, but if you stow it centrally, not a lot.

Can't comment on the suitability of a particular short shaft motor on your particular transom, but bear in mind that in a howling onshore gale and rising sea, having the prop riding in AND out of the water is not a splendid situation to find yourself in.

My experience with transom mounted outboard is that you will need a Long shaft. Anything else will mean you will be a Fairweather sailor only. The effect of the rise and fall of a boat in a choppy sea on a transom mounted ob means it is a challenge to get a long shaft to bite and a short shaft will be hopeless. You might think it will be OK but the number of times I was caught up Harbour with wind against tide trying to get back to the ramp leaves me in no doubt. 

40kgs on the transom is huge for a 20ft boat and will kill performance. You'd really struggle to lift it off the bracket while underway so it'll stay there. 

• Upvote 3

The national guidelines is 0.25 hp per foot, so minimum is around 6hp with a bit of safety margin. As mentioned above only long shaft work well on the back of a TY. Props can make a big difference… look for a displacement or sail drive one

20 minutes ago, eruptn said:

The national guidelines is 0.25 hp per foot, so minimum is around 6hp with a bit of safety margin. As mentioned above only long shaft work well on the back of a TY. Props can make a big difference… look for a displacement or sail drive one

Prop makes a huge difference. I changed my yummy to a high thrust and it like a turbo charger. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

I need to buy an outboard for my new OLD Pelin Caribou 20 trailersailer which has an adjustable outboard mounting bracket.

The last owner had a 9.9hp Johnson but it was left in his garage and got flooded a few months back in the bad weather.

I would ideally prefer to get a short shaft  15hp so I could swap it between the yacht and my 3.3m inflatable.

As I am living in a motorhome I don't want to carry 2 outboards around everywhere.

Can the 20 trailer boat function with a short shaft and will the 40 kg motor greatly impact the sailing performance?

opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS

[Photo]

6- 8 hp would be plenty for both boats, your going to get sick of lugging a 15 hp OB real quick 

• Upvote 3