Watch required at Anchor

On 6/05/2023 at 4:08 PM, Steve Pope said:

It is of a round ball appearance and is black, no less than .6 of a metre in diameter flown on the forepart of the deck. They are generally 2 flat discs that are keyed together to appear as a ball. Being flat they stow well when not in use.

if memory serves correctly day shapes are only required to be carried on vessels over 12m in length

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Completely rediculous.

Isn't there some Coastguard RYA/MCA certification available in NZ which has worldwide recognition but MaritimeNZ refuse to recognise it?

YNZ seem to be aligned with Coastguard. While Coastguard and MaritimeNZ refuse to acknowledge each other. 

Yes. I have those RYA/MCA master offshore certs. I also have the NZ SRL 24m - they would not give me the NZ coastal master because they (MNZ) wont recognize my sea time as appropriate (not on NZ vessels, or under NZ certification), although they did recognize it for my NZ Yachtmaster <24m.  I have all the other ancillary tickets and requirements.

So an example is this. For RYA/MCA the change from sail to power ticket is a 3 hour practical test (in power vessel) and an interview. Seems logical, navigation is navigation.  For NZ, it's a completely different training course, different sea time requirements, and  separate exams. IMO a sailing vessel is more complex than an equivalent sized power vessel, although I could accept additional engineering requirements

MNZ say they will recognize MCA tickets, but not the RYA ones, as they are issued (under license) by the RYA not the MCA! Even though the ticket says issued by RYA/MCA on them!

There is no logic in this.

For MNZ to endorse my ticket (SRL 24m) for passengers (currently only allowed 19) they want me to spend another 6 months as a deckie on a commercial vessel (ferry etc).  All of this nonsense is why the ferries can't get crews.  - plus the low pay of course..

At this point I've given up!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Island Time said:

All of this nonsense is why the ferries can't get crews.  - plus the low pay of course..

And that is why so many Indian taxi drivers due to the fact they need to complete to NZ standards. The heart lungs etc are in the same place as theirs so whats the problem. we have a pharmacist driving due to not able to afford to NZ course.

Its a crooked system. Time served in NZ or overseas should count.

On 6/05/2023 at 3:33 PM, Steve Pope said:

Who flys the anchor shape, when at anchor? who actually has one?

From what I've seen, there's no shortage of boats who don't have any form of anchor lights, either...

• Upvote 1
On 6/05/2023 at 5:33 AM, Steve Pope said:

Who flys the anchor shape, when at anchor? who actually has one?

Me and everyone I see in Brittany. Also day shapes for motor sailing. Rule compliance is very high here abouts.

I'd love to see it happen here. Sailing/racing in the Tga Harbour can be hazardous as we can often not distinguish if a boat is anchored in tbe channel or drifting and an anchor rode is hard to distinguish. 

It'll never happen of course. 

My boat is over 12m so i suppose I should get one.