Re-galvanizing an anchor with a lead insert.

I have a Manson plough anchor as the spare anchor on our boat and am looking at getting it regalvanized. It has a lead insert part in the plough end and I'll need to get this out - presumably by melting it - before it can be hot dipped as the lead would melt in the dipping process. So the question is does anyone have any recommendation for who might be able to melt the lead, collect it and then re-pour it back once the anchor has been galvanized?  Any companies who might do this? The closer to Kumeu the better? 

Thoughts? 

20230515_113657.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-15 133336.jpg

If not as BK says above and you must do this, Lead can be melted out into an old pot with a basic butane torch. Then, when putting it back, melt in the pot, pour back in...

Torch alike this https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/bbqs-outdoor-ovens/bbq-utensils/listing/4125631697 

43 minutes ago, Bad Kitty said:

Buy a better anchor is the first thought that comes to mind?

Sorry not trying to be a d*ick, but there are such better anchors around now that I'd never use a plough again.

No worries, this is the spare. We've got a Rocna up on the bow which is awesome. Just need to stop this one rusting while it spends its life in an outside locker and thought a re-galv would be an easy option. Maybe not so much. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

No worries, this is the spare. We've got a Rocna up on the bow which is awesome. Just need to stop this one rusting while it spends its life in an outside locker and thought a re-galv would be an easy option. Maybe not so much. 

You can get zinc enamel spray paints that would be an good application here. Far easier and cheaper than doing a re-galv. If it is only sitting in a locker it will work fine. Will stop it rusting. As soon as it drags through some sand and shell the zinc paint will come off, but if it is your spare, you can worry about that then. Will stop it rusting in a locker.

• Like 2
On 15/05/2023 at 10:10 PM, K4309 said:

You can get zinc enamel spray paints that would be a good application here. Far easier and cheaper than doing a re-galv. If it is only sitting in a locker it will work fine. Will stop it rusting. As soon as it drags through some sand and shell the zinc paint will come off, but if it is your spare, you can worry about that then. Will stop it rusting in a locker.

This is exactly what I did, used a can of etch primer after power wire brushing it, then sprayed it with another coat of cold galv 

now in forward cabin to hopefully never se the light of seabed

• Like 1

Just a note to those of us with Rocna anchors.When you take them in for re galvanising, make sure that you have

cleaned [ with difficulty] out the hollow rollbar. If you don't they will be very reluctant to do the job as there is a

danger of sudden gas expansion I was told.

• Like 1