Okoume Joubert or Meranti plywood for new boat interior?

On 15/05/2023 at 12:39 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

I'm picking that the total amount of material is not enough to make either weight or price material overall.

I'd use just one so you can match the tone throughout.  If you are painting, just choose the best grade (no voids, no fill).

Hi friend

According to what I gather, the material might not be able to satisfy the demands for weight and cost factors. It is best to choose a single material grade without any voids or fill for painting purposes in order to preserve uniformity in tone.networth

1 hour ago, LE Bb said:

so what we can see in your photo was just floor lands ?

Lands?  Not sure what you mean.

when i cut out the integral water tank, we what is left is what you see in the photo - the keel with no athwartship structural floors supporting the enscapulated keel to the hull…

37 minutes ago, LE Bb said:

see where circles are to get the jist of where im questioning

cut glass.jpg

Ah right, they were thin little bulkheads separating various parts of the water tanks...couple taps of the hammer and they broke off..

9 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Yes, those were probably just baffles for the water tank

Correct - 'baffles' - that is the word I was looking for instead of them little thin 'mini bulkheads'!

On 17/05/2023 at 8:46 AM, Zozza said:

when i cut out the integral water tank, we what is left is what you see in the photo - the keel with no athwartship structural floors supporting the enscapulated keel to the hull…

Removing the integral water tank reveals a keel lacking athwartship structural floors, which traditionally support the encapsulated keel to the hull. This alteration might have implications for the vessel's structural integrity and stability. freefirename

8 hours ago, Aliyaaii said:

Removing the integral water tank reveals a keel lacking athwartship structural floors, which traditionally support the encapsulated keel to the hull. This alteration might have implications for the vessel's structural integrity and stability. freefirename

Correct.  Structural floors will be glassed in now that the bilge water tank has been removed.

Hi Guys,

Choosing between Okoume Joubert and Meranti plywood for a new boat interior depends on your specific needs. Okoume Joubert is known for its lightweight and durable qualities, ideal for marine applications. Meranti plywood is more affordable but slightly heavier. Consider your budget, weight requirements, and intended use to make the best decision.

On 16/05/2023 at 12:36 PM, Psyche said:

look for even plys and plenty of them, Joubert Gaboon is reliable and dont worry about price as its not a giant Spencer! Dont be afraid to go though the pile and pick out the pretty faces. Just make sure you coat the end grain with a couple of good coats of epoxy, in the interior varnish on the faces is fine, no need to epoxy the lot unless you really want to. the only there caveat is any potential water traps absolutely need to be epoxied. Some people roll a few coats of epoxy on the whole sheet before cutting, uses a bit more but much easier to finish on the flat and less tearout

Agree with all above, IMO Joubert Gaboon (Okume) is of excellent quality and is easy to work with its also less work to finish as it has a  tight grain. Meranti is OK but  heavier and more coarse  grained with a tendency to splinter on the edge so I much prefer Gaboon.

There is a lot of absolute rubbish out there and some of it not so cheap either so don't muck around and buy quality from a reputable supplier. I use Plytech but there are others just as good.  Last time I was there buying 6mm Okoume for the camper van I got lucky and scored the stack skin as a freebie :-)

On 14/08/2023 at 5:34 AM, Zozza said:

Correct.  Structural floors will be glassed in now that the bilge water tank has been removed.

Apologies for stating the obvious but do use a solid wood core for those floors :-).  Incidentally our Hood 38 has a fully encapsulated keel and there are no floors as far as I can tell but then the hull thickness is in the order of 40 mm or more  at the turn of the bilge. She was built in 1986 and has spent most of her life offshore, last time I checked the keel was still there :-)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hood-38-wauquiez/

• Upvote 1