Caulerpa now in BOI

57 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

with a global economy comes global impacts

I have a hunch it maybe to linked to global immigration and someone in Hamilton or Cambridge hankering for some downhome fried clams 

23 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I have a hunch it maybe to linked to global immigration and someone in Hamilton or Cambridge hankering for some downhome fried clams 

Possibly.  People are, after all, a part of the global economy

1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Tainui are in charge of the Waikato River now, and they will sort it out properly. None of this Colonialist govt departments and science and stuff.

Am I allowed to say that now? Its not politics or religion? (that part is a serious question)

Please advise if anyone spontaneously erupts by reading that post.

• Haha 1

So it's all over the BoI now. About another dozen or so sites confirmed to have it.

This is going to be a clusterfuck.

What are the odds that anchoring and fishing will be banned across the BoI this coming summer?

I'll start at 3:1

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

FB_IMG_1685346454264.thumb.jpg.84f0f3944427eeefc2ca8f008e637bbd.jpg

Now that it's up there in those shallow bays the tides and currents are going to spread it everywhere. 

Boat anchors are going to play a very minimal roles. 

Yeah the place is rooted as far as seafloor life goes . 

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

The spread, to so many destinations, to me makes it look like the weather and tides moved it, not a boat....

What?!?!

But that is not the official narrative!!!

The govt said it was boaties, and the govt has never, ever, ever, been wrong.

Ever.

Choke.

And besides, it doesn't matter what the truth is, cause the legacy media have already told Joe Public what to think. It was those rich, entitled, white, boaties. And nothing to do with the incompetent govt.

• Haha 1

At the end of the day nature will have "her" way.  Current army worm invasion in Northland, loves eating maize / corn, any green vegetable, etc. etc. MPI suggests it came in on the wind from Aus,? not a mention that it could have also come in on imported seeds, fertiliser etc. No mention of anchors so far!!   They have only just found Caulerpa because they havn't looked before. We will find that it is far more widely spread and will, within a couple of years be looked upon as another immigrant that we don't necessarily want but will have to learn to live with. Think possums, deer, rabbits, rats, ferrets, weasels, stoats, red back spiders, various moths, plant bugs, pacific oysters, bureaucrats, jobsworths, argentine ants, aussie wood worms, magpies, mynas, hedgehogs, wasps, wallabys, feral cats, cats, dogs, us, brown and white and asian versions. etc etc etc.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely Steve,

The Barrier locals report seeing it there 5 years ago, they just didn't know what it was. Didn't sound like it had made any noticeable impact over that time in terms of the ecosystem collapsing. It was only 'discovered' there because a biologist was on holiday and put it on iNaturist, of which is posted to 6,000 times before (i.e. its his thing).

It was only 'discovered' in Rawhiti because Iwi individuals started doing patrols for it. By the shear number of locations found, it has clearly been there for a while. It wasn't transported on a single boat anchor in March, when we had 3 days of summer.

MPI have already confirmed there is no way to erradicate it. The question is what to do now?

In my view the worst move would be an anchoring and fishing ban.

If I were in charge, I'd do two things:

1) A massive education programme, focused on getting boaties and fisho's onboard, including trailer based fizz boats* (as opposed to ostracizing us). The guts of this would be how to recognise it, and how to clean your gear (anchors, fishing gear). Current MPI focus is on clean hulls, no mention of clean anchors... everyone thinks if they have a clean hull you are fine. Do you spray your anchor and chain with bleach? peroxide? urine? the ashes of juvenile kina harvested on the first day of the new moon?

2) Install public use moorings in the worst affect (and most popular) locations. Allow normal marine use, anchoring and fishing, but some pragmatic steps to slow the spread

Apparently it doesn't like light, and grows at between 25m and 47m. Those depths would explain why its gone undetected for so long. It also likes a bit of turbidity, i.e. poor viz. Obviously we've had 3 years of La Nina, with NE and shithouse conditions, include very poor viz. If we have a good El Nino, SW and hot sunny calms, the viz will improve (great for spear fishing), and the balance of the environment will shift against caulerpa. We have basically had 3 years of perfect conditions for it, including the marine heatwaves. It can also be damaged (cleared out) by major storms. So all we need is cold, clear, sunny conditions for a season or two, and we should see a retreat of caulerpa. Exactly the same was that fan worm doesn't like fresh water, this wet summer has really knocked the fan worm back.

In the mean time, I think it s a great solution for kina barrens, AND it absorbs nitrogen and phosphates from the water, i.e. improving water quality. If it re-populates all the kina barrens, we will probably end up with a net neutral ecological impact. But there is nothing we can do to influence this, we just have to sit tight.

*didymo and the South Island PR campaign to clean you fizz boat and not spread it from lake to lake is probably the best example of what I'm talking about that MPI need to do now. Fisho's anchor hundreds of times a trip (if they aren't soft baiting), and tow their boats all over the country for good weather and what ever fish is running. That, and there is easily 100 times more trailer boats in the country than keelers. So a social media campaign, signs at boat ramps and provision of washdown facilities, with specifics of how to clean your gear to kill or remove caulerpa. I've no idea how to do that at the moment.

• Like 1

Its normal to overreact and be fearful of what we don't understand. Caulerpa is here to stay probably, over time nature will have its way and it will fit into the ecosystem. My observation is that we operate under this paradigm that NZ was paradise before humans came along and interfered and that paradise must be restored by limiting human impact so everything can return to "balance".  I dont buy it, nature is brutal and things change all the time and in this case the arrival of new aquatic plant. Best thing is an education campaign to limit the spread and raise awareness. If its really that bad then the authorities will need to limit anchoring over some pretty big areas.

• Upvote 3

Well this is not out public yet? The Shyte will be hitting the fan soon

From my Nephew

Mussel farms in firth for sale ..the guy that brings our mussels said the calupra has spreed to the farms..said mussels will go up over 10 dollars a kilo