Caulerpa now in BOI

All boating is now banned in the BoI, as of 11:59pm last night (Monday)

Yup. Everything.
Anchoring
fishing
diving
spear fishing
collecting shell fish
set netting
any netting
taking crays

To be fair, the bans only cover 1,000 ha.

Why?
200 ha has been found infested with caulerpa. Even the MPI says it is clear its been there for several seasons already, so good luck controlling it...

Just now, Psyche said:

Wow! Thats going to get people worked up!

Worked up?!?!

Just this minute I have been checking YNZ news for what they are doing (nothing) and just found the contact details. Wonder if David A will take my call?

The fizz boat and fishing industry (recreational fishing suppliers) will have something to say I think.

Ha a bit of weed on the bottom pff , Ask the locals-I was there last week they are more annoyed at the carpets of those square barnacles that cover your bottom in under a month now that local antifoul makers have wound back the copper content.!

So David A was in a meeting, but I did actually manage to speak the PR guy Edwan. He wasn't aware of the anchoring ban, but once he got his head around the details couldn't wait to get me off the phone, in a good way. As in was rushing off to speak to David A and the advocacy manager (Raynor?). He did take all my contact details. It wasn't very hard for me to put a bee in his bonnet when he understood the extent of the ban including all forms of water activity, fishing, diving etc.

He was very excited to hear the AC expert said caulerpa was most likely introduced by the aquarium trade (immediately wanted to know if he would go on record). And that the biggest outbreak in the world was confirmed to have been started by the Aquarium at Monoco University. I 'clarified' that no-one has pushed back on the narrative that boaties are spreading it. I am hopeful YNZ will now push back on that.

15 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Ha a bit of weed on the bottom pff , Ask the locals-I was there last week they are more annoyed at the carpets of those square barnacles that cover your bottom in under a month now that local antifoul makers have wound back the copper content.!

Still plenty of coprous oxide in there . It’s the unpronounceables that have been banned from paints 

2 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Still plenty of coprous oxide in there . It’s the unpronounceables that have been banned from paints 

The unpronounceables are now unprocureable.

The cat seems to have jumped out of the bag, run down the street and is now meowing all over town. 

The problem is that now it's established, nature needs to find a way to balance it out, unless there is some amazing and  undiscovered method of eradicating it.

23 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Cough Coastal Classic Cough............

Jeez, there is always something new each year to make running this race a challenge! Last year is was Dolphins, Covid the year before.....

Looks like the ban is just for fishing, diving and anchoring in these areas, so you can still sail through. 

If the anchoring ban spreads to Russell, we might need to organise the use of all the empty moorings in the bay. 

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/biosecurity-rules-in-place-to-stop-northland-spread-of-invasive-seaweed/

45 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Whats the chance this ban extends to the greater BOI and all of Barrier?

I'll be you a good bottle of whisky the ban is extended on or before Labour Weekend.

Imagine a fleet of 130 boats all sailing to the BoI then returning to Auckland via Tuts and Bon Accord? MPI will have a fit about people out enjoying our amazing coastlines. And shut it down. Even though this has been there for 'several seasons' by MPI's own admission, and 'for at least 5 years' by eye witness accounts at the barrier.

8 minutes ago, Psyche said:

The cat seems to have jumped out of the bag, run down the street and is now meowing all over town. 

The problem is that now it's established, nature needs to find a way to balance it out, unless there is some amazing and  undiscovered method of eradicating it.

El Nino.

It doesn't like sunlight, and thrives in poor viz / turbid conditions. We've had 3 years of La Nina. Lots of N'Easters, swell, surf, churned up water sh*t viz, very low sunshine hours (rain non-stop) and poor spear-fishing conditions.

With El Nino, we will get long clear calm periods (cold as well), like this week and last week. Viz will improve loads, and we will have high sunshine hours, as opposed to last summer when it rained non-stop.

Nature will sort itself out. Trying to control nature and caulerpa is right up there with trying to change the weather by not driving a ute. Futile.

2 minutes ago, Hamish said:

what intrigues me is how will this be policed? A lot of boaties will cite ignorance of the ban, and some (most?), will be hostile to any enforcement measures.  

I'm going to get a f**king big RESEARCH sign.

And continue with my research of where the big snapper and kingfish are.

Jokes aside, you are not wrong. Given the Iwi have imposed a Rahui on top of the CAN, there is potential for community 'disharmony' and agro on the water.

Special Maori poles were cut down at the Barrier, which caused hurt to the local tribe. Not to mention someone felt aggrieved enough to take their chainsaw to said specials poles (apologies I can't speak te reo and don't know the culturally appropriate name of said special poles).

Issues we have seen at the Barrier will be on steriods at BoI, due to the shear number of water users and road access, which Barrier does not have. Not just cruising sailors but fizz boats, fisho's, divers, spear fisho's etc. A very wide section of our society.