YNZ conference this weekend.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

That's a bit different from what we are discussing here, isn't it?  That's paying someone to operate a boat which they or the club, or someone else owns.  Presumably the operator is making a profit?

If your skippers are volunteers, they are club members and they are receiving a "nominal wear and tear gear allowance" eg, $25/day and a beer and a meal afterwards at the bar, then that would need to be tested in court to determine if that was payment for service, in my non maritime club experience in relation to, Worksafe, DOC Concessions and the Adventure Tourisim Regulations, the courts have stated that a payment like the above is not payment for service.  But MaritimeNZ have never tested their laws in court.

Sorry may have misread the post.  We have moss exemptions for our club owned chase boats

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

The MRXs at Squadron were discussed once.  The conclusion provided was because they are a club they don't need to have the MRXs in survey.  I felt the position didn't align with common knowledge but I conceded that knowledge comes from MaritimeNZ themselves whom are not the law. 

Several wrong statements/assumptions here...

MRX's are in survey.

They are privately owned. Most boats in the fleet have numerous owners who each have a proportional shareholding in the company MRX Yachting Ltd who manage and maintain the fleet. With the latest rises in marina fees etc... a ownership share in a MRX is an increasing cost effective option for someone keen on racing. www.mrxyachting.com

Squadron has no part in their management or ownership, but the MRX's do work closely with the RNZYS for a lot of their racing and do charter them to the club at times.

7 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Several wrong statements/assumptions here...

MRX's are in survey.

They are privately owned. Most boats in the fleet have numerous owners who each have a proportional shareholding in the company MRX Yachting Ltd who manage and maintain the fleet. With the latest rises in marina fees etc... a ownership share in a MRX is an increasing cost effective option for someone keen on racing. www.mrxyachting.com

Squadron has no part in their management or ownership, but the MRX's do work closely with the RNZYS for a lot of their racing and do charter them to the club at times.

Thank you. Really good to know and understand that.

I was definitely not aware that the MRXs were in survey.   Infact I had been told completely the opposite when I enquired several years ago.

That is interesting. I had though they must be as they are chartered.

I'm interested though, that IIRC they don't have a MSA number on them? They must be under MOSS and have an MTOP then ? Or is this some special arrangement?

They have a MTOP...

If you look on the transoms on the hull deck join you will see a MSA number on each boat.

Photo below is a few years old... but they are still in survey and have MSA no.s today.

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 9.12.32 PM.png

• Upvote 1