SSANZ Triple Series 2023

It's creeping up again.

If anyone is short of a skipper / crew for Race 1 or 3 I'm available to fill in. I've done quite a few over the years both as owner or crew and am happy on most styles of boat. 

Cheers

Jono Gravit, 0274 754 169

Entries now open for the SSANZ PIC Triple Series

https://www.ssanz.co.nz/triple-series-2023/

A bit different this year regarding who can sail what courses.

Due to the "short course with extras" option being almost unmanageably large last year (combined with complaints from fast boats the course was too short!?) this year any boat can enter any of the 3 courses. 

So pick a course, pick your sail configuration (Extras/no Extras) and away you go.
Larger Classes (Piedies/Y88 etc) remain as normal

Short Course - New World Victoria Park 
Medium Course - Railblaza
Long Course - Beacon

SSANZ will split up the divisions depending on numbers and performance.

Due to low experience levels with the new boat, we have elected to enter the medium length Railblaza course on Perfect Storm - Open Monohull (meaning with extras).

Cant Wait!

Shimmer signed up for the easy division this year too.

looking forward to some 2 handed racing NOT on the Tasman!

Surprised low number of entries but I guess a bunch will sign up just before cut off date?

Shimmer... its a big problem of NZ yachting! Everyone enters events at the last minute! It makes it difficult for organisers to plan when they don't know the numbers.

Not such an issue for the SSANZ series as we all know it will get good numbers in the end but for other events it is a big problem. I have seen several cases this summer where numerous people have held off on entering waiting to see who else is entering. As everyone waits for everyone else to enter, the organisers see low entries and cancel the event. Then you hear "But I was going to enter that!"

Moral of the story is if you plan/wish to do an event please enter as soon as you can. It not only gives the organisers certainty but encourages the participants to enter as they see it will be a successful event! 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Hopefully none of the buoys for the SSANZ courses are missing this year.

Looks like Rangi Light is unlit though...

https://at.govt.nz/media/1992033/weekly-local-navigation-warning-summary-20-june.pdf

I would not rely on the NtM being correct. The Harbour Master would struggle to organise a root in a whore house.

There were no NtM for the two missing / damaged Weiti River beacons listed as damaged, so I phoned to report them. This was approx 2 months after they would have been damaged in either the Anniversary Day floods or Cyclone Gabriel. He was like 'yeah, we know about them, already ordered the materials and waiting for the contractor to fix them'.

I asked if he should perhaps issue a NtM for them? (said with incredulity and sarcasm) He was like, "oh yeah, that's a good idea..."

To put it in context, they'd issued a NtM for trees down further up the Weiti towards Silverdale, but not for the beacons that mark the bar and channel. This Harbour Master has just been promoted from Traffic Warden.

PS, haven't read / checked NtM for 25yrs. The one time I do, they are wrong. I can't win.

PPS, isn't a light on Rangi light kind of important? If it doesn't have a light on it, we can't call it Rangi Light?!? Its not really a post, so we can't call it Rangi Post. Perhaps we should call it Rangi Colonialist Structure?

• Haha 2

108 boats now with a day to go.

10 Piedies and a Sloth of 88's 😉

Somehow found myself in longhaul on a Ross boat made of matchsticks that are too soggy to light... oh well at least it'll be blowing 30+knots and probably raining 🤣

• Haha 2

So New World Victoria Park Div 1 - is now at 36 boats. This is twice as big as any other division.

Will SSANZ split into 2 divisions, like they did in 2021? That year there were divisions for under 10.4m, and over 10.4.

6.4 The race committee will review entries for each Course, and may split the divisions based on handicap or vessel length or displacement.

44 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

So New World Victoria Park Div 1 - is now at 36 boats. This is twice as big as any other division.

Will SSANZ split into 2 divisions, like they did in 2021? That year there were divisions for under 10.4m, and over 10.4.

6.4 The race committee will review entries for each Course, and may split the divisions based on handicap or vessel length or displacement.

Guess we will find out tonight at the Briefing 

Have to mention the Ross 650 Sunset Sam totally posting the jandal in this video . Bit of a rough start but ripped through the fleet and pulled past suspect device . Plenty of other action too in the first start .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The 2 biggest wipeouts were

- Hard Labour, who made a quick recovery and carried on, shouting "Yee Ha", and soon led the fleet

- Psyche, who maybe had some damage, and promptly retired.

Strangest retirement was Rogue, who sailed 95% of the course, but then went home after northern leading.

59 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

The 2 biggest wipeouts were

- Hard Labour, who made a quick recovery and carried on, shouting "Yee Ha", and soon led the fleet

- Psyche, who maybe had some damage, and promptly retired.

Strangest retirement was Rogue, who sailed 95% of the course, but then went home after northern leading.

Rogue split their main in 1/2...