Sea sickness meds

Grinna

What are you doing the delivery on?

I'm trying to write this really small so nobody notices. It's a 60' plastic stinkpot. But hey, the money's great. I'm not crossing to the dark side but it sure is nice now that I've worked out how to use the ice machine and where the button is to adjust the driver's seat. :roll:

Never felt seasick....

Ditto, found mylanta perks em up when the wilt begins, that and keeping them focussed and busy, mind you, one sunday morn after drinking rum on transformer till dawn i did have a good old upchuck leaving tekouma and actually felt brilliant straight after.......that'll learn me for sailing on a stupid

Probably a bit late now too, but a mate of mine has an incredibly seasick prone wife - like when she stepped on the boat in the marina she'd start yodelling. He tried all sorts with varying degrees of success until he found a product that he said worked like a treat. Now she never gets sick and if they leave the marina and she's forgotten to put it on and gets sick, she just puts it on and cranks it up and in 5 minutes she's as right as rain. This is it here I think. Relief Band. He bought it online from the Pilot shop, but I can't find it there now.

http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_arti ... index.html

Not sure if anyone has said this, but if you are going offshore it is really important that you have seasick tablets in your survival kit whether you get seasick or not.

If anything happens and you end up in a liferaft you WILL get seasick even if you usually don't. You should take them before you feel seasick to try and prevent it. Once one person is sick you can bet everyone else will be as well, and spewing over the side is a very fast way to get dehydrated.

Just a "sh*t happens" sort of thing....

So what exactly do these Pahia Bombs have in them??

I found this out while doing some research earlier in the year.

The Paihia Bombs are a two capsule solution for sea sickness. The first capsule contains antihistamine which interrupts the signals being sent from your inner ear to the nausea centre of the brain. This is the bit that actually stops you from feeling and becoming sick as a result of the motion of the boat. Unfortunately, antihistamine causes drowsiness so the second capsule contains caffeine to combat the drowsiness. The trick with the Paihia Bombs are to take the correct capsule first and then a little while later remember to take the 2nd capsule.

The meds from the Blockhouse Bay Pharmacy work on the same principle but are a single capsule. The stimulant they use is not caffeine apparently, but they didn't tell me exactly what it was .... I suspect its a psuedoephedrine based product. They do ask whether you have high blood pressure, a known heart condition or are pregnant before they'll sell them to you so I'm guessing the stimulant has the potential to cause issues if you fit those 3 categories.

I can confirm that the Blockhouse Bay Pharmacy meds work very very well. I sailed up to Fiji earlier in the year and we left in 30-35 knots of breeze with gusts up to 40 and despite being on the wind in an unfamiliar boat in fairly large seas I never had a problem with sea sickness. On a couple of occasions I started to feel a bit "off", particularly if down below, and I popped a capsule and carried on. Never felt crook after popping a pill. I only ended up taking 3 in total and only during the first 2 days.

I would highly recommend taking some sea sickness meds with you, even if you don't think you'll need them.

Probably an "oldie but a goodie", but.....

Someone told me years ago that you should put one finger down your throat and one up yer bum. If that doesn't work, change hands! :sick:

Probably an "oldie but a goodie", but.....

Someone told me years ago that you should put one finger down your throat and one up yer bum. If that doesn't work, change hands! :sick:

not one I have heard. excellent tip ;)

Sturgeron is the best thing I have found but hard to get in NZ (I have not been able to find a local source at all as understand it is not authorised for sale here).

I have bought it at an online pharmacy offshore, this is not risk free tho, as there are a lot of counterfeiters in this market. Cant even confirm what I got is not counterfeit as have not had conditions to prove it yet. best bet is probably getting some sent directly from offshore via offshore-based contacts (altho not sure if it would be intercepted by customs somehow).

Always fascinates me who gets affected and who doesn't. I read somewhere that Chris Sayer got seasick on photo sessions in the harbour, even with all the offshore stuff he does.

Does anyone know where to get Stugeron in NZ?

Can't get this in NZ but have had no problems ordering online from UK pharmacies and getting them posted out to us. We order them about once a year and they have worked brilliantly.

Ever thought of becoming a Drug Dealer, Princess ? :lol:

Wouldn't mind a couple for my next Cook Strait crossing.

Happy to pay if you have any to spare.

J.

There is a product called nausi calm available from pharmacy by prescription. apparently it works extremely well.

works very well as an anti-nausea, haven't seen it used for sea sickness, but it worked very well on very sick pregnant wife. It is pharmacy only but can be bought without prescription, may have a few still spare.

Scopoderm patches are the only thing that works for me. I get pretty bad seasickness. I even get sick driving to Piha (when I am driving) or into town (when my husband is driving)

Put one on the day before you go to sea and take it off when you start hallucinating.

Ginger tablets? Hmmm, sounds interesting. Did you try them? Where did you get them?

I was down inside the Lazarette where the stearing quadrant is housed yesterday carrying out some wiring.There was a Southeast coming straight down QC. By the time it got to Anakiwa, it was a sizable chop that was just the right frequency to seasaw the boat. Every now and then I had to come up and stare at the Horizon to settle things down and then I could go below again and take another shot. Not really something you want to be taking seasick meds for.

Also, with the other meds I have to take each day, I probably need to be careful what else I take, or I could end up swimming with the fish.

Ginger tablets? Hmmm, sounds interesting. Did you try them? Where did you get them?

I don't get sea sick so didn't use them but Sue said they were good. Picked them up at a pharmacy in Auckland but they should be available anywhere. I met rigger in Auckland and he also suggested ginger beer so she drunk a fair bit of that too. I just stuck with rum :mrgreen:

Archived