Rogue Wave

Heard about that on the radio. Reading that doesn't shed much more light unfortunately. I did wonder how a 9mt wave caused so much carnage. I would have thought a ship that size would have coped drama free as it appears from reports it hit bow on.

Too many cruse ship weather related dramas of late.

I can't work it out either. 9m waves and 45kt. Hardly wild seas for any boat, let alone a Ship of that size. Are they just biulding too woosy a cruise liner these days?

a comment on another site. kiwi working a superyacht

The western med was PUMPING yesterday...

Here in Antibes, we clocked a steady 46 knots & gusts were clocking out our wind instruments. Every mooring line on the boat was in use...

The sea level in the marina was up about a foot & there were some serious waves hitting the breakwater.

We could see a tanker much closer in than normal & making some serious leeway towards the shore en route east to Genoa.

Would not have been a nice day out.

Pantelleria (Just west of malta) clocked 80+ knots.

Another system coming through sunday by the sounds.

Seeing the video on the news this morning, those windows should never have caved in as easily as that. I wonder what thickness they were. But whatever they were, they needed to be two sizes up. It wasn't thgat much what that hit. Sure it was a lot and it hit hard, but you expect that on a big ship. The thing should be designed with the possibility in mind. I bet the designer/biulders said, barrr it's a crusie liner, they won't be going anywhere ruff, lets use 8mm instead of 12mm to save weight up top.

Archived