Who designed my stripper d'ya think?

John B

Unitec students turn out a couple or more of these at a time. Quite interesting seeing them go together. Not too sure but some would be constructed by nightclass aprentices already working in boatbuilding yards I think.

You mean we have the basis for a 'class' :D

pun not intended.

Barbara Stanwyck.. who'd a thunk it. :shock:

The only stripper( pardon.. burlesque artiste) I could think of was Freda Stark

Freda.jpg

'clothed' as a joke on another forum ,so I wouldn't get banned for showing nekkid bits.

Impressive. A genuine classics man in all respects.

Nah , I just thought hmm , tasty , and googled the movie. :lol:

Now I'm shocked because she was only ever a matriach in any movie or TV show I saw.

Hey John B! I bought one of those about a year ago, put a three hp outboard on it and rediscovered the hoon in me! Couldn't believe how easily it planed! It came without rowlocks so took a reasonably careful guess as to where to put them and it's generally okay when one person rows but with two rowers it can tend to sheer off to one side or the other. Was thinking about clamping some kind of temporary fin to the transom but wondered how yours rowed as in have I cocked up the rowing positions?

Hey Crossfire! We do have a class! :D I emailed Rob Shaw and he very kindly and promptly replied. He thinks they were designed by Paul Donohue when he was teaching there.

The thing that puzzles me is the centre of buoyancy is so well forward.. thats why I say it seems as if its a 12 ft dinghy with 3 ft added on the back. Anyway, I just floated it and found a good centre for a single , and then added two more rowlock positions for some options. I sat two of us in it and tried for the best trim, and set the rowlocks 300 mm back from seated hip joint.

I found it didn't track at all with no skeg( as you'd expect) but adding a short 75mm one didn't really fix it either so I've laminated a false stem and keel to give it something to line up on.

and a centreplate. :lol:

IMG_4700_3.jpg

IMG_4698_5.jpg

and some mast steps :lol: :lol:

IMG_4701_2.jpg

Did you put lots of skeg on yours?( Dang , I want a 3 hp now)

Since its friday and friday is humour day....

Progress on the stripper is good with centrecase, rowlocks and skeg all done.

also the 3 mast steps for all the rig options :lol:

Donor Delta rig and foils

IMG_4864_11.jpg

and the piece de resistance 2 up rig

IMG_4860_10.jpg

:lol:

As your stripper lacks a little er, form stability (no respect for curves today - more meat pies required, Granville), you'd have to be pretty quick on your toes with those rigs wouldn't you?

Yup. :lol:

The delta rig by itself should be plenty at around 50 ft I'd think but since we'll have the two rigs on board anyway ,I thought we might as well have an option for light days and maybe 2 or 4 people up.

Could be a disaster, but I'm sure it'll be fun one.

The stripper went for its trial sail and a bit of rowing on sunday.

Its ' very tippy' under sail as expected.

Adding the false keel of about 18mm right through ( rising to about 25mm at the stern) onto the hull and skeg has made it track properly for rowing. Balance under the delta rig and foils was spot on poifect.

Quite hard to sail in the reasonably gusty conditions of sunday , just a quick row and then a circuit of Okahu sailing.

Bloody thing took off on the burst when we ran off from the marina breakwater down towards Kelly Tarltons.

I can see an involuntary swim in my future.

You could buy that Sunburst jib that Vin has listed and you'd be on your way to venetian blinding.

Please advise dates and locations of future performances, this kind of entertainment is sought-after during the Christmas cruise and promises to be the highlight of the day wherever you are running it. :thumbup: We will be in the BOI if there is any chance of a guest appearance.

Funny you say that... ' can I buy tickets' seems to be a common theme.

I'm not sure quite what it means .... :lol:

The stripper has retired to its cave while its owner considers some sort of self bailing device.

I'm currently thinking some conduit through the aft bouyancy and those ducks bill bung things..........

IMG_4875_4.jpg

IMG_4879_7.jpg

Its Mercs and the other side of Coro , Mercury bay as plan A and with a backup of Barrier at the moment ..... flexible, dependent on weather of course.

I made a gunwhale buffer out of plumbers foam pipe lagging covered in sticky back uv strip material.. not cheap but good investment I reckon.

IMG_4884_1.jpg

Archived