Yacht Berserk in trouble in Antartica

B00B00

No , sorry you are wrong Wheels, OZ yacht Clubs subscribe but Joe Citizen does not need any special clearance to leave if not participating in some YC event.

More like a Shackleton than an Amundson attempt really.

Wrong explorer sorry Brucey. Shackelton was the man who brought his crew through unbelievable odds without a death. Scott was the tosser who sacrificed his crew for the sake of a few rocks.

In saying that, I agree that this little adventure was an ill conceived, poorly executed and totally selfish endeavour by a bunch of wankers who have limited touch with reality. According to my contacts on the ice nowadays these jerks left a wake of litter and fuel spills behind them. Antarctica is an unbelievably beautiful place and to have morons like this defiling the place for their own little glory seeking trip is indefensible.

Guest Brucey

More like a Shackleton than an Amundson attempt really.

Wrong explorer sorry Brucey. Shackelton was the man who brought his crew through unbelievable odds without a death. Scott was the tosser who sacrificed his crew for the sake of a few rocks.

quote]

Quite right pwederell, thanks. I read a fascinating account highlighting the differences in prep and approach to the challenge by both men. Amundsen even spent a season with Eskimos learning how to handle dogs, where Scott took the dogs as an afterthought and planned to complete the treck relying on the horses and on foot. Army man through and through.

"Race for the South Pole" (diarys) was the book I think? worth a read.

Shackleton's Book "South" is his account of his attempt to cross Antarctica.

It is also an amazing read.

They lived on the pack ice at sea for months after their ship was crushed, waiting for the pack to break up enough to set sail for South Georgia.

Those boys were tough!!!

Penguin Classic, $15. :)

And we can be proud of Shakletons captain who was a kiwi by the name of Worseley.In my opinion he was a great navigator ,right up there with Cook and Bligh.Appalling conditions.Partially decked life boat.Beach rocks in the bilge for ballast.Lying on top of that in reindeer skin bags that were disintegrating.Everything wet and cold.Constant bad weather.Brief chances for a sextant sight.How did he keep any dry paper to work out the sights?How did he keep any sight reduction tables?Did he somehow keep everything in his head?Yet he brought them to South Georgia,a small dot in a huge ocean.

Guest Rocket

Read Shackleton's Captain - A Biography of Frank Worsley (Hazard Press)

probably the single greatest feat of seamanship, mountaineering and survival ever

"South" doesn't go into great detail about the boat trip. It is a small part of a long and arduous journey.

They had to drag 2 boats and all their food/supplies for weeks across ice that was slowly breaking up to get to an island.

From there, then mounted the boat journey, leaving most of the crew in pretty bad living conditions.

This was after already living on the ice for a winter.

There was an exhibition at Te Papa that included the actual vessel they went to South Georgia in. Sobering!!

Skins - NZ is the only country I know of that has such limitations on its citizens leaving, though I'm not sure about France. Most other places you get ready and you go.

I am pretty sure North Korea doesn't let it's citizens just jump on a boat and bug out...

Guest Brucey

And Cuba has an even more novel approach, they ban boats.

I couldnt get over being on tropical island like beaches a la South pacific, and you look out to sea there is nothing, a few kyaks at the odd resort is all? With only a hundred miles or so to Florida too many were just buggering off and claiming asylm, so Castro got rid of the boats. Once a whole village of 4000ish? stole a freighter and just drove it up on the beach in Florida and climbed off.

Was a few years ago, hear its changing a bit with Bro Castro in now. Pretty girls and $2us a bottle for Havana Club Rum, cant be all bad though.

and $2us a bottle for Havana Club Rum

Sounds like paradise Brucey. At that price someone might even drink enough to listen to your BS for a sustained period of time mate. You'd be like a pig in muck!

France is about the only other one that has the requirements NZ does, and actually enforces them. Most countries have them but just don't enforce them, Aussie being one.

NZ can push the point with foreign boats if it likes, it is in law they can. But when they brought that one in there was much bitching from boaters both local and potential cruisers also the marine industry, that they 'let it slide' assuming they don't see a very impeding cock-up waiting to happen. I suspect, and it's only suspect, that if a foreign boat can leave NZ and get far enough away before it goes tits up that NZers don't have to go rescue it, some eyes maybe turned away from the odd boat.

Also the powers that be must have spoken to a real boatie who probably asked the question - "So if a boat sailed a minimum of 1000nm to get here what makes you think it's unsafe and/or unproven?". A hard one for many to answer I'd think.

They have invoked that law on a couple of occasions I know of. Once was that rower dude down south who was going out of his way to kill himself. I understand they used that law to get more safety gear about the vessel. And there was another where the boat was structurally rotten, I think off the top of my head. They said fix it or we will stop you leaving, fixes or changes were made and then they left.

It is easy for them to do, they just withhold customs clearance and if you haven't left one country you can't arrive at another or knot at least without serious drama. That's what happens if a NZ boat doesn't pass Cat 1, you just don't get a clearance. You can still leave if you like just be ready for big drama, jail, confiscated boat and probably anal examinations by Bubba at the other end. A Cat Inspector can't stop you but they can knot pass on the OK to Customs who sure can.

KM, when they tried to impose our rules on foreign vessels, it was taken to court and proved that such action contravened an international treaty to which we are signatories, then rule 21 was dropped. It was a giant cock up by the then new head of MSA.

Sure it was dropped or just changed to 'enforceable if required'??

They do have a way of stopping any boat leaving if they so desire. I thought it had just been changed from a mandatory to a optional sort of the thing.

Like you I'm not up with all the legalitites, but the only way they'd stop a foreign flagged vessel leaving now would be if it was some complete nutter hell bent on suicide, then it is some other legislation I can't remember. As you say any boat that made it here on its own bottom has probably already been through a decent filter.

Yeap, I get the impression it's only suicidal nutbars that would attract interest these days, and rightly so seeing we'd have to pay to save them.

I'd say Berserk would have easily fitted into the 'they got here so what grounds do you have to try and stop them now' category. It did seem a good solid boat.

There has always been a law in place that any state can perform a "Port & Flag State Inspection". This is totally different from Cat 1 requirements as it is controlled by the internationally recognised protocols rather than YNZ rules. Basically, if a tosser in a rotten tub wants to leave (or is identified upon entry) then MNZ can prevent them. A blind eye might be turned but most NZers would be surprised about how much area NZ is responsible for in international SAR (about 10% of the world's ocean area)

There has always been a law in place that any state can perform a "Port & Flag State Inspection". This is totally different from Cat 1 requirements as it is controlled by the internationally recognised protocols rather than YNZ rules. Basically, if a tosser in a rotten tub wants to leave (or is identified upon entry) then MNZ can prevent them. A blind eye might be turned but most NZers would be surprised about how much area NZ is responsible for in international SAR (about 10% of the world's ocean area)

Yup, NZ has the world's biggest SAR area by miles, it reaches down to Antarctica and all the way over to Chile

NZ-SAR-region.jpg

Archived