RNI Leg 4

muttley

I really feel for the boys on Pepe. They were doing an amazing job in the race. When we lost the mast on Mr Roosevelt during Leg2 we felt absolutely gutted. I can only imagine how you feel having lost the rig on the final leg. Good luck getting to Gisborne boys. Look forward to a beer with you guys at the prize giving and sharing dismasting stories. Stay safe.

Oh no, knot the Pepe.

Must be a right bastard after all the work and coin they put in getting ready for this race. Arguably the boat that has been tweaked the most for this race I think.

The race is becoming more 'Survivor - North Island'. I wonder who'll be voted off next?

I hope they have a good reason for not Jury rigging and carrying on!

How sweet would a leg win under Jury rig be!

Be interesting to see what the cause was, I'm thinking masthead gear up in big breeze and stuffing it into a wave whilst trying to hang on to the faster boats would be the most honourable death of a stick :(

Apparently a backstay issue... Even a bulletproof carbon stick won't be happy about running hard with a masthead and suddenly losing all support from Mr Backstay.

Really feel 4 those Guys, have been quietly watching their impressive progress in a 30 yr old design, and its been Gr8. Had my own 930 entered @ one stage but in the end felt the boat would not likely survive all the way round if things got too tough. With hindsight I think it was a good decision given whats happened to the other two 930's.

I'd love to have a look around Pepe & see what the've done to the boat sometime, anyone have an eml address for them.

10/10 for effort.

Stuart

Redline

Had my own 930 entered @ one stage but in the end felt the boat would not likely survive all the way round if things got too tough. With hindsight I think it was a good decision given whats happened to the other two 930's.

Oui, calm your roll there RL.

Both boats didn't suffer 930 issues or at least the one small bit that was hull related with one is nothing larger than has happened to many other boats, some a hell of a lot newer than she is, they suffered 'any yacht' issues. You could almost argue these are examples of how much of a beating they can actually take and yet survive, even if partially wounded. That is a positive, knot a negative.

My Cat Inspector is watching these comments and it will knot help me do what I want with mine if these myths are perpetuated ;)

Mr Backstay.
Naughty naughty Mr Backstay, letting down the team like that. Off to bed with no rumbo nor playtime with Cricket Umpires for you now lad :lol: :lol:

Anyone know if they saved the stick itself.. or was it even worth saving?

Booboo should have a Pepe contact for you RL. I believe one of the crew is a Norths lad.

Hey Booboo, when Damon complained of little wind, did he factor in all the hot air that Gary generates?

Re: Pepe, I too have suffered from backstay seperation anxiety at one time on the Gaucho, not a good look. I wonder if it broke above the forestay or lower? the difference being one way leaves you something to work with, one does not!

Really sorry to hear about Pepe. I was following the Ross boat's progress with interest. Lots of rig failures here guys.. I will be very interested to read the post mortems on them all, including Non Stop's backstay..

It's scary when you have a skinny little stick supported by lots of bits of string...

I'll re-phrase that, when YOUR BOAT has a skinny little stick.. :D :D

Apparently they had some breeze last night, Damon said he did a MASSIVE wipeout with the fractional spinnaker up in 42kts of breeze, top speed was 22kts (i think). they were SENDING IT!

I believe it all too.

Pepe's rig is still in one peice, deck stepped and they managed to get it all back on board. I dont know what other damage has been done thou but either chainplates or cap shrouds must have broken for it to fall over the front once the load came on without the backstay.

Apparently they had some breeze last night, Damon said he did a MASSIVE wipeout with the fractional spinnaker up in 42kts of breeze, top speed was 22kts (i think). they were SENDING IT!

I believe it all too.

Now that is boys having serious fun with their toys. Go hard lads :thumbup:

Pepe's rig is still in one peice, deck stepped and they managed to get it all back on board. I dont know what other damage has been done thou but either chainplates or cap shrouds must have broken for it to fall over the front once the load came on without the backstay.
That's sort of good news after the dosh they must have chucked into the big tweak. Any news if they got in somewhere OK?

And where is everyone else? drifting around out there or ....?

I would check but currently buying a, wait for it......... Pepe. But this one's from the design desk of Vespa, knot Mr Ross's :)

Guest Peter Marsh

Anyone got an update on Overload? I assume the damage was not repairable in Wellington and she will be trucked back to Auckland?

Got into gisbourne at 10 this morning, pretty slow trip into that seaway, everyones okay just the rigs in a few to many pieces
Hope you're talking about a 88, knot Pepe. The getting in bit is good the rest isn't though. Bugger.

What ru planning on doing 2 your 930?
New interior, new windows, new hatches, new bulkheads, new deck gear, install 2 hammocks, new big flash low power drain stereo, keel off for a suss of bolts, total repaint/sticker from top of rig to bottom of bulb, make my 2 piece rudder a one piece again and the transom is most likely to fall off and be unrepairable. Possible/probable total cockpit rework and retractable prod. Relaunch with Cat 2 or maybe C1 if I can get the Inspector drunk enuff. So nothing big really :)

wow hope u havent told ur other half about all of that. So far we've got a mini prod (made of old scaffold pole!) set of masthead jumpers (after a re-rig) Gennaker/Sort of Code 0 both of which can go on the prod, a new masthead kite, and two old original fractionals.

Have a spare newish main thats being converted to fully battened, and a bit more roach in the top 1/3rd of the sail. Maybe this winter might get round to looking into the possibility of a new lump of lead down below to help it stand up to its sail area a bit better. But nothing as expensive as ur refit!

Stu

1/2 of mine is due to necessity the other 1/2 just desire but I'd rather be sailing her. The paint job is in better condition than most of the rest of her at the moment, especially the deck gear. The Wa knows and has no problem with it, as if it would make bugger all difference if she did. She knows that as well.

I have most of the gear already so it's knot a big bucks job, more just time really. My shed does resemble a marine chandlers, one in Chch but it's all in there somewhere. I'm going for a Cat 1 at the same time {some loud THUD's are heard as a few YNZ Inspectors have a Myocardial infarction and fall over} :lol: :lol:

Archived