Small production boats

Well reasoned post Kip, very good. $49K ready to rock is bloody good I would think going on some costings I've done in the last year or so.

And I do like your arse.... errr.. your babies arse that should be :wink:

of course, finding what you want it a big driver for the home builder - there just isn't anything out there!

Ms

That's a biggie. I'll admit to being a little weird when it comes to boat choice, but the more money involved he more conservative I'll become.

But an AWB does not excite me. Plus they are built to sell at boat shows, if you want to go offshore they have some deficiencies. Of course you can probably get there OK, but they'll never be as good as a boat designed for that job (where do you put the dinghy?)

It gets even harder when you like multis.

It gets even harder when you like multis.

Yeep - that's our prob. So few out there. Still, not looking seriously just yet, more interested in what is about. Also the discussion continues with THM about what we really need ;) .

Here's a production boat just for the Squid.

Funny shaped sails and hulls with points both ends yet with newish technologies, see the solar panels built in.

50,000 Euros negotiable sail away brand new. Made in the Philippines.

post-646-141887157247.jpg

post-646-141887157248.jpg

What's the point of the shades over the solar panels???

That's because everything is reverse on a Cat. Haven't you noticed the sails are upside down. A Cat normally falls over so it sails upside down and so obviously the Solar panels work in the shade and not the Sun :wink:

But if you were trying to produce it for a market, it would be a fizz wouldnt it?

If you look at the big tinnies, they are minimum of $130 000 for a 8 or 9m boat - aside from say $30-50k on engines - where does the rest go?

What about an 8 or 9m kitset ply fizz. 20 grand tops for a hull? complete guess there?? But that still gives you a fair bit of coin left to spend on one of those motor things.

Or put an 8hp on the back, go everywhere at 4kts and pretend to be a yacht.

Sailing is about the trip, fizz is where the trip ends up. I would love to see a new yacht on the scene - but who for?

What about hte triler sailers? in the 1980s there seemed to be scores of people making them and some (Nolex, Ross, Young, Elliot etc) seemed to strike a reasonable balance between racing and cruising amenities. On a trailer you also save on marina costs. But now no one is making trailer sailers in the 20-26 foot range. has the market moved on or are they too expensive to buuild for what they are?

AA - Why do you think the Malango wouldn't work here?

The trailer sailer market has the same problem as keelers, there are plenty of 2nd hand ones out there to make it hard to sell new.

Slacko, first off I personally love the concept of the Malango so I'm not knocking it, and with any luck I would also be way off base and wrong. But it was the dinghy up it's arse concept that I thought might put people off. Again I think it is an excellent idea, but it just occurred to me that your average Kiwi sailor might prefer to use the space internally for longer bunks or such like. The concept is a little outta left field and I like it. Again I saw immediate benefits, such as where do you put your dinghy when in the marina if they don't let you stow it on the finger. I stow mine on the foredeck but up it's transom to me is bloody brilliant! Stowing it on the foredeck is a pain. In our cruising races or on a coastal classic you don't have to rent a raft or find a place for it - it's already there!

That 950 gave me a boner!

Cheers Squid, it's always price, but that wasn't what was on my mind.

Archived