Yet another Trimaran build

Hurts

Triranasaurus Rex?

All well and good but then when the sh*t hits the fan and the friendly Coastguard radio operator wants you to spell out your boat name using the phoenician alphabet you will be there for quite a while...., then they want you to repeat it!!

tango

romeo

india

romeo

alpha

november

alpha

sierra....etc etc

ah sh*t, its too late now!!!!

Triranasaurus Rex?

All well and good but then when the sh*t hits the fan and the friendly Coastguard radio operator wants you to spell out your boat name using the phoenician alphabet you will be there for quite a while...., then they want you to repeat it!!

I sure hope the coastguard doesn't require the Phonecian Alphabet that would stuff a few up. :lol:

CalligraphyArt3.gif

I think I'll definitely call the design a "Mestizo 8.5" rather than a "Mongrel 8.5". Sounds way better.

If I were you I'd be referring to the design as a Farrier.

It will improve the boats resale value and it is really easy to get Insurance for a Farrier Trimaran.

Any other design is much much harder (and some are impossible to insure).

It will improve the boats resale value and it is really easy to get Insurance for a Farrier Trimaran.

I think you'd run into some legal issue calling it a farrier. It is clearly not a farrier. In fact, is Ian aware of what has been done with hi dsign - I can't imagine he would happy about it, especially if it were referred to as a farrier design

I think you'd run into some legal issue calling it a farrier. It is clearly not a farrier. In fact, is Ian aware of what has been done with hi dsign - I can't imagine he would happy about it, especially if it were referred to as a farrier design

Yep I'm definitely not calling it a Farrier - he's rightly sensitive to people using his brand name on things he didn't design. I've made way too many modifications from the original design (as well as using completely different floats) to call it a Farrier. I have kind of accepted from the start that insurance will be an issue - I really only want 3rd party and I figure with my boat; I built it - I can fix it.

Had and email from an ex Kiwi, Buddy today, Been in Aus so long his computer skills are disappearing ( can't log into " Stupid Bloody Crew")

He wanted to give you a name "Karmarama" seems its the flavor on a Fruit juice bottle.

Not sure how he is tying you up with fruit or juice? have you been in Aus lately?

Maybe it should read " Kamaramamaran" Starting to sound like a song from an Eighties Boy band.

Anyway it's the thought that counts :D

Since you are into naming boats here are a few I have come across one way or another.

"Aliens ate my Buick" (somewhere in the US)

"Never again 2" (don't remember)

"LBTASB" or "Light Blue Touchpaper and Stand Back" (cat in Oz).

"Crash test dummies" (racing mono with a crew dressed as crash dummies)

etc

And then there is always the danger of languages.

When visiting Stockholm my brother-in-law noticed a smallish motor boat named "Fame" and he saw the Italian rather than the English word spelled thus and wondered why anyone would like to name a boat "Hunger".

Some years earlier a Dutch Dragonfly 25 named "Pung" sailed to Sweden and its crew noticed their boat always raised smiles and it couldn't be only because it was a trimaran. Swedish friends finally solved the riddle. In the Netherlands Pung is a character in a children's book but in Swedish it the word for scrotum.

Some ten years ago Honda planned to market a car in Sweden named, well never mind... enough for today.

/Martin

OK after much stuffing around and delay and waiting for the weather to clear - today she finally hit the water! John and Putaki were down at the ramp to show us how it to launch a folder which was handy. There was a little more breeze than I'd anticipated or wanted for the first outing but once we were down there and had mucked about for an hour or so getting her ready to launch and had various family and friends arrive we couldn't chicken out.

Ramp_with_PE.jpg

Launch_day_small.jpg

No Photos under sail sorry. We went for a short reach round north head to approx cheltham beach under main - then tacked and put the Genoa up and she kind of took off towards bean rock - was kind of busy still trying to figure everything out but my cell phone GPS said 14 and I'm pretty sure we did more. The boat seemed easy to control and the helm was quite well balanced which turned out to be a good thing. Howver, whenever we put a burst of speed on a strange "Waaarrrrrpppp" noise started comming out of the leeward rudder - vibration or ventilation I'm not sure. Anyway didn't have much time to ponder this as when we got pretty close to beam rock the leeward rudder case busted - we quickly tacked onto the good rudder side without too much trouble and carried on - and noticed that the other case had some fairly serious looking cracks developing in the same place - time to drop sails start motor and head for port. Obviously I built the rudder cases too light so I'll be fixing the one that has broken and beefing them both up big time - it's no biggie to do.

Case_damage_small.jpg

Overall I'm happy enough - the cases are easy enough to fix and for the short sail we did have the boat seemed to perform fine and go where it was pointed which is a good start. There is a hell of a lot to learn and lots of things to setup and refine. I'm going to try a few more sails this week once repairs made and if the weather lets me, and will hopefully make 8.5 Saturday race. Oh and thanks for all the name suggestions - ended up with "Hurts Like Heaven" - a Coldplay song and kind of sums up sailing for me.

Archived