Yet another Trimaran build

Hurts

Looks awesome! well done! Sucks about the rudder, Although thats the big part of owning a fast boat :D

She looks great! :thumbup:

Looks great Dean! Well done. Quick build too which is motivating!

That rudder pin looks well loaded up too? Not straight anymore?

That rudder pin looks well loaded up too? Not straight anymore?

Yep rudder pin totally munted - I'm glad it bent cos otherwise it would have damaged the float/top of the case too. When I bought the stainless tube they made me buy 4 meters of it so I have plenty spare to make another. Re build time - It certainly seemed like it took a while to build to me. Are you building something also?

Looks awesome Dean, congrats

I have to say im a little concerned I might not have the fastest 8.5 Tri out there for the next winter series race! :wink:

Did you build the rudder cases to Farriers specs?

Iv got 16 layers of carbon and a half inch pin on my rudder gudgeons... been there, broke that...( 5 or so time on the GDT)

Looks awesome Dean, congrats

I have to say im a little concerned I might not have the fastest 8.5 Tri out there for the next winter series race! :wink:

Did you build the rudder cases to Farriers specs?

Iv got 16 layers of carbon and a half inch pin on my rudder gudgeons... been there, broke that...( 5 or so time on the GDT)

I wouldn't be too worried about us for a while Sam - I've got huge holes in my sail inventory and then there is the "human factor" - you've been sailing these for a long time... Target no 1 for us (apart from actually finishing) will be a certain other folding tri sitting across the car park ... :-).

I hadn't followed the Farrier specs but now I've bought it up to the same level of strength (approx 2250 gm of uni and 800 of 45 deg in total) but the design is a bit different - It will be about 4 times stronger now and I was pretty confident until you mentioned the 16 layers - 16 layers of what exactly?

I used a mix of 400gm db and 300gm uni, roughly 2/3 uni vs 1/3 db (by weight)

so total of approx 5000 grams its about 8mm thick including the orkot bearing.

also mine are almost 600mm apart so have half the torque on them compared to yours...

I have to say it was nice to push it hard it the BMW regatta and not have the rudder fall off for a change!

OK thanks - I might do another round of DB and Uni's then I don't want this particular problem to rear it's ugly head again. It is nice having two rudders and an outboard that I can steer with also - heaps of redundancy. I took my dad's boat out once in my teens (Compass 790 w diesel inboard) and had the rudder break off the back - was basically screwed at that point and had to get a tow back.

Are you back in the country and racing Saturday? I had the impression you were away longer?

arget no 1 for us (apart from actually finishing) will be a certain other folding tri sitting across the car park ... :-).

That's a bit unfair Dean, Pressure :shock:

Thanks for the invite to sail on the mongrel today Dean as I had a great time lying around your new boat taking a few photos.

post-10945-141887200972.jpg

post-10945-141887200976.jpg

post-10945-141887200979.jpg

post-10945-141887200982.jpg

post-10945-141887200985.jpg

post-10945-141887200988.jpg

post-10945-141887200991.jpg

post-10945-141887200994.jpg

post-10945-141887200997.jpg

post-10945-1418872010.jpg

Cool Stephen, glad you enjoyed the ride, ta for the pics. Was a great afternoon for it - boat was certainly moving but not too terrifying and didn't manage to break anything of significance this time.

Mast was made by living (multihull) legend JT of JT spars. I believe it is basically the same as Lucifers.

Yes Clive, if I can get crew sorted I'll be putting some "L" plates on the back of the boat and joining the fleet for a race on Saturday. Be gentle on the newbie. Speaking of which I've been looking at the SI's what is a black/white numbers flag? I'm guessing the numbers are "8.5". Do I need to tool along to the squadron tomorrow to buy one?

Yes Clive, if I can get crew sorted I'll be putting some "L" plates on the back of the boat and joining the fleet for a race on Saturday. Be gentle on the newbie. Speaking of which I've been looking at the SI's what is a black/white numbers flag? I'm guessing the numbers are "8.5". Do I need to tool along to the squadron tomorrow to buy one?

Good news, weather should be good for a drift and nothing too stressful.

The SI's refer to the 8.5 Logo on the sail. We don't need flags now. I think we have run out of them though, Tim off Whio may have a set though. Will ask him...

Boat looks awesome mate, have fun tomorrow, breeze looking really light so ideal way to kick off.

Technically the sail numbers shouldn’t be supplied until the boat has a measures cert.

OK good to know - are we talking about a sticker that I can slap on my main or ???

Don't worry about the sticker most of the time the Squaddy notices that you are doing 18kts past the finish line with a stupid grin on your face and no keel boats and insight and figure it must be one of those new fangled multihull things.................

See you out there and have fun but keep out of the way of the Stewart 34's !!

Make sure you pop over to WXY after racing because it is far more fun talking about you when you are there !!

Archived